PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Hey guys I have received my first estate pipe and just wondering what everybody does to them before giving it a first smoke. The seller assured me that the pipe was cleaned and sanitized and good to go, but I feel I should be doing something to it before I fire it up. It’s a Castello bent billiard KK

Any thoughts ?

6ac43917-886c-4b15-afa2-e65029f1395b-599x600.jpg

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
That's an acrylic stem, I don't use alcohol on them but don't let me stop you. Maybe swab the shank with high proof neutral grain spirits and clean the stem seperately with soap/water and pipe cleaners. Nice score, congrats.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Yes, clean the stem and bit... you can't be too careful. Great first estate purchase!!!
Don

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Great first estate! I second what others above have said, with the additional check/cleaning of the tenon, mortise and slot as you can sometimes find little remnants of tobacco/oils etc.
Enjoy!

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I use a bristle pipe cleaner soaked in 90% rubbing alcohol to clean the draft hole.
Re the grain, stunning!!

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
That estate seems to be in pristine condition from what one can tell from the picture. I second the advice here, alcohol, water and some pipe cleaners and you are propably good to go. Also check the chamber with a flashligth to see if there are any fractures developing, if yes, simply smoke it slower for the first couple of bowls

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
All great advice, thanks boys.

I’ll get her cleaned up and get back to you all on how she smokes.

Thanks again for all the compliments, it was the cross grain and birds eye that sold me on this one.

And... I’ve always wanted a Castello

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Just be careful, aro. When you start glomming onto estates, quickly consume you it can, & forever dominate your destiny.
But don't worry, that sort of addiction is rare. Of my 100-some pipes, estates only count for, oh, 80-90 or so. -evyl grin-
Bill

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
Before i saw the 200 year old dna from pipe thread i just used anti bacterial soap and water.

Jan 8, 2013
Lovely pipe, Aro! That birdseye on the right flank is spectacular. I'm glad you saw it before I did... I may have had my first Castello if you hadn't! Congrats and enjoy the heck out it! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.