PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
After reading through all of the threads on estate pipes I thought I should add a few into the collection. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on "high end" pipes because frankly, I do not know if I am over paying for a name at this point. I saw a few dozen I liked but forgot about the last second bid-up process that cost me a few that I really wanted. So here they are:
Paradis
1811162088744040_1.jpg

Edwards Bulldog
1811161494664040_1.jpg

The Pipe
1811106196124040_1.jpg

So far I have smoked EMP through The Pipe and the bulldog and they both burned great. I love the bulldog style and can see myself obtaining more of those and some Rhodeys.
All in all I paid about $85 with shipping for the three. While The Pipe is just a cheap pipe I like the way it feels in my mouth. It is nice and light and although straight I can read with it and you don't know it is there.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey Dan, welcome to the world of estates! Good shopping. I'm interested in your take on "The Pipe" I picked one up in a lot of estates that I won a few months back, and have been too afraid to smoke out of it because I haven't been able to find out what the material the bowl and shank are made from. I'd love to hear more about how it feels, smokes, etc.
Congrats on your haul bro.
-- Pat

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks Pat.
I have only put one bowl through it and that was Dunhills EMP. Seems to be my "barometer" tobacco on any new acquisition. I like the taste of it and know what it should taste like, so that's that :)
Not sure on the materials my friend, that is a little out of my league at this point. I did notice that the bowl had zero cake. Either it was spectacularly reamed or this material doesn't hold a cake. Anyway it is nice and light. I like a lighter weighted pipe when I am reading so I don't have to use one hand on the pipe and one on the book. I mean, how will I get to my drink??? :rofl:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I like a lighter weighted pipe when I am reading so I don't have to use one hand on the pipe and one on the book. I mean, how will I get to my drink???
True story... I suck at multi-tasking. It's one of the reasons I love sitters.
I think my version of "the Pipe" is bakelite... but I'm not sure. Perhaps one of our wizened brethren will know. But I agree, the "the Pipe" I have is completely free of cake, dottle, or anything resembling residue from smoking.
-- Pat

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Dan: Depending on the age of the Edwards, it could be of Algerian Briar, some of the best briar for pipes.
I have several Edwards pipes and love them all. In fact, a couple are just the best smokers I have ever had, including Dunhills.
Check out the date on the Edwards. If it is not on the pipe itself, there once was an Edwards Shop in Atlanta, Ga., that was a "franchise" shop, meaning it was an original Edwards shop. I spent many an hour and dollar in that shop. They might be able to date it for you.
Usually, though the pipes had "Algerian" briar stamped into the shank, if my memory serves. My Edwards are put away at the moment for safe keeping, or I would look it up for you.
Let us know how the Edwards smokes. It was at one time the best pipes for a college student on a very limited budget.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
All you ever wanted to know about "The Pipe","Venturi" and "The Smoke"--

http://www.thepipe.info/sitemap.html

Dec 24, 2012
Nice ones. I think The Pipe is more of a novelty though. I have had several people tell me that they are about the worst smoking things ever created, lol

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Wow guys, thanks so much for the info. I have a lot of reading to do tonight/tomorrow.
The Edwards does have a mark on it which reads "Algerian Briar 720-L"
0012-600x450.jpg

I took this quickly from my phone so if you can't read it I apologize.
The Pipe was just a joke really. For $10 I couldn't say no (ok really $9.60)but to be honest its not bad. Trust me Peck, its nothing like that Morta you posted today, but for the price while reading a book its a light pipe :)

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Coal - not sure if it a true Zulu, but probably the love child of a Dublin and a Zulu :)
I haven't smoked out of her yet, but I think that will be towards the end of the week when the weather gets better.
Sam- definitely bringing the bulldog to the club this week. I have a feeling the bulldog/Rhodey style will start to take over my collection. There is just something about them I love

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Its funny that you say that Roth because many of you commented on the St Patty's Day Pete that I have which to date is my most expensive pipe ($100) and wasn't smoking nearly as well as the Italian Briar I showed in my stem restoration thread that I don't think I paid $30 for. I will never have the collection some of the guys here have, and that's ok. I am now up to 12 pipes and enjoying how easily my older ones just crank out the new baccy that I have been introduced to and how some of the newer ones are, well like babies. They need to crawl before they walk, and walk before they run.
I am really just enjoying this whole journey and glad many of you can walk with me and give me the guidance I need so that in time, I too can pass on what I have learned to the next wave of pipers.

Status
Not open for further replies.