PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Thanks Duane!
I had a great time just making this pipe, but all the amazing comments were an unexpected bonus. Thanks for taking the time to post, you guys really made my week.
I'm breaking it in some more with some Frog Morton's Cellar now, and it's doing great. If nothing else, I think this is a good endorsement for Vermont Freehand's do-it-yourself kits and proof that you don't need a lot of expensive tools to make a decent pipe. That's with the holes already drilled, of course. :puffy:

d750

Lurker
Aug 20, 2019
Great looking pipe!
I just finished my first pipe as well. Walnut. Looks okay and smokes okay. My biggest issue was getting a perfect match where the stem meets the pipe. Yours looks perfect. Can you tell me how you got that so straight and true?
I'm starting my next pipe this weekend.
Thanks,
George

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Gerryp, this is an inspiring thread, thank you for showing us your first pipe. I have recently purchased my first pipe kit too and I hope to do 10% as well as you did having myself no experience with woodworking, pipemaking or anything crafty at all.
I think I can manage initial shaping with a couple of files, and I also intend to follow through with sandpaper, but I have no idea how I will do to the staining. I see that your staining looks stunning, with a lot of grain definition. I do understand the basic principle of understain and overstain, but I fear I will mess it up with bizarre colors and such. Do you think you could share your recipe/method? Thank you in advance.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
There are a number of threads on pipe staining. Here is one:

Staining thread

Once you get going, start your own thread and post pics of the progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.