PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Had to be in Albany today, and stopped by Edleez Tobacco. Great little shop in an upscale area, the staff didn't seem to know much about pipes but they had a very nice and fairly deep selection of tins and tobacco. I picked up a tin of Royal Yacht mostly because I like to buy something when I go to a B&M, but also because Deathmetal has been talking this stuff up.
A couple of observations.

1. Not sure why this is such a polarizing blend.

2. Nice strong VA taste. This isn't as much the sweet (it's there though) as it is the earthy smokey damp characteristic.

3. Not sure what the topping is but I like it.

4. This is a strong blend, it really is quite nice if you like nicotine.
Thanks Deathmetal for turning me on to this blend. I'm sure with a few more bowls I'll decipher all its secretes.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I too recently tried Royal Yacht for the first time. The tin I opened had a year's worth of age on it. Your observations are exactly the same that I made. I find it a little bit too strong for me and learned to smoke it in a smaller bowl. I love the topping. I think it smells kind of like plums personally. It goes well with the damp earthy taste you described.
During the 2 for 1 sale I grabbed another 15 tins to cellar away. It made that kind of an impression on me.
Good stuff!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
You are now a member of the Neue Deutsche Härte Metal Cult. All ye who enter smokith the leaf of that yacht, that leaf most Royal. All hail The Royal Yacht. Who brought the goat?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Glad you had a great experience, TexMexPipe. I was quite taken with the stuff once I learned how to taste the complement between the plum and the Virginias.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I love Royal Yacht, too. The only reason I can see it being so polarizing is because of its strength and it's rare to find a ribon cut Virginia that's processed like it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The topping was a hang-up for me at first. But I got over it. At first, I let it evaporate over the course of a few days of having the tin open but the lid on. Now, I just light up and go. Great stuff.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds good. I've had an unopened tin for a while, but one day I'll open it and join the cult. I'm mostly a non-aro guy, but I think I can handle plum with some good Virginia.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
MSO after my second and third bowl, I'm not sure if I'd classify this one as an aromatic. It is subtle, and plays "in the band" not over it. The VA's are the main players in the blend. Really is growing on me quite quickly.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Technically, it's an aromatic.
Realistically? It's not what most people mean when they say "aromatic."
It's a strong Virginia mixture cased in plum wine.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Other then strength how does royal yacht compare to university flake in the plum department? I like university flake.

Dec 24, 2012
Royal Yacht is the Batman of tobaccos. It will kick your ass at a moment's notice, but it won't kill you.
And deep down it is good, really good.
Cowl be thy name.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
"Cowl be thy name."
Well said, Counselor.
Lines like this are why I read posts about tobaccos & pipes I will never ever own.
Fnord

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
After reading this thread, I had to kick open a new tin of the 'Yacht.
Glorious.
At this point in my life, the plum/chocolate topping fits perfectly with the leaf.
This inspires a desire to lunt with the widest bowl of this delicious concoction that I can muster.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Picked up a tin yesterday due largely because of this thread. Great Virginias you'd expect from Dunhill and I found the plum to be very undersated, adding just a touch of sweetness to round out the Virginias. Tasty smoke and I know I'll be adding a few tins to my next order cause I bet it will get better with a little ageing to the tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.