PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
With the help of our resident Barling expert Jesse, I have finally purchased my first Barling. Jesse has been working with me for a few weeks explaining why(jesse was very patient with me as I was probably a pain in the ass) one particular Barling is better than others. I finally scored one on ebay for what I thought was a very good deal considering how much a nice Pre Transition Barling goes for. I am very excited to finally try a Barling as there are so many who feel it is the best smoking of all the older British pipes. Jesse, any way to tell the age of this?

s-l1600%201_zps4jf3uau4.jpg

s-l1600%204_zps1hf3jhhm.jpg

s-l1600_zps9bmzkq8y.jpg

s-l1600%206_zpsxrdshmra.jpg

s-l1600%205_zpsmdwvzjun.jpg

s-l1600%207_zpsukzrhf3g.jpg

s-l1600%202_zps76oh585r.jpg

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I'm too clueless to realize the significance of the pedigree of the pipe, but it's a beauty.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Harris, nice looking pipe. I have found Barling's Pot shapes, and their variations, to be EXCELLENT smokers. Rough date range 1945-61. Any markings on the underside of the stem?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Harris,
Congrats! Hopefully this will be one of those "magic" Barlings, like the first one that I bought. I put my Dunhills in the drawer and never looked back.

The logo looks typical for a mid 1940's and later piece. Maybe mid '40's through mid '50's. Look at the underside of the stem where it meets the shank and see if there's a remnant of the underside stamping. If there is the word "reg'd" with a number underneath then it's 1941 thru 1950. If it says "Barling Design", then it's 1950 and later. This was a pretty shallow stamp, and this pipe has seen a buffer a number of times, so the stamp may be completely eradicated, or just barely detectable with a magnifier and light.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for the nice comments guys.
jesse, from the ebay listing he says this.

"MARKINGS: BARLING'S MAKE YE OLDE WOOD 243 T.V.F. MADE IN ENGLAND EXEL"
He also says it is in great condition so I am hoping it is just the lighting that may make the nomenclature look rather shallow.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Congrats, Harris! Glad to see you get a Barling. Hope it lives up to expectations, which I'm sure it will.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Now that you have started off on a new acquisition trail, Harris, please let me know when you are ready to start selling off some Rads to fund the old Brits! :puffy:

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Congrats on the pipe! I've always wanted a pre-transition Barling as well, but am yet to pull the trigger. I just haven't found one yet. There's a nice billiard that's always on the bay, but it just keeps getting relisted because it never brings the seller's reserve. I hope to own one someday. I hope this one is a real performer for you. It makes me want one even more after @sablebrush52 mentioning that his first one made him put his Dunhill's in the drawer.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I was just looking at the picture of the underside of the stem from the auction, there is something there... Have a good glass or a loupe ready when you get the pipe.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
jim, if it does not live up to my expectations, jesse said he will buy it from me and throw in an extra hundred for my inconvienience.
I did. Monopoly money. I also added a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card. Harris was thrilled. Then again, I can put some shiny pebbles in front of Harris and he will be equally thrilled.
He also says it is in great condition so I am hoping it is just the lighting that may make the nomenclature look rather shallow.
Several of my favorite Barlings are well used, over buffed, banged up pieces that I picked up for pennies. Now I know why these were so well loved.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
And here I have been laboring under the false belief that only saddle stem Barlings had the Reg. No. on the underside of the stem.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for the nice comments guys.
elpfeife, ain't happening, especially since I just added my 20th Rad to the collection, next stop 25. lol
dmcmtk, I do have a magnifying glass to use. Could this "T.V.F. MADE IN ENGLAND EXEL" be at the bottom of the pipe or would it be on the side?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
dmcmtk, I do have a magnifying glass to use. Could this "T.V.F. MADE IN ENGLAND EXEL" be at the bottom of the pipe or would it be on the side?
What we would like you to look for is on the underside of the stem, near where it meets the shank. If the pipe is 1950 or later it will have the words "Barling Design" stamped into the vulcanite. If the pipe has "reg'd" with a number underneath it dates between 1941, or more likely 45, and 1950. This is a stem stamp. Not a shank stamp.
The TVF stamp is on the shank to the right of the Barling's Make stamp.

The "MADE IN ENGLAND" and EXEL stamps are on the shank on the other side.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A beauty for sure. And, yes, Jesse is both patient and kind. I took a newly acquired Barling to the WCPS and showed it to him. He didn't sneer, nor did he drool, so I guess mine is a middling piece.....

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Very nice pipe Harris! I love the grain and the bit. I think you did very well and as Jesse agrees you definitely did well.

Status
Not open for further replies.