PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
That's a nice looking pipe, I hope it smokes well for you.
I'm trying to build a starter selection of briars for a reasonable price via ebay. Do you have any tips on what to look for in a Barling auction?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm trying to build a starter selection of briars for a reasonable price via ebay. Do you have any tips on what to look for in a Barling auction?
My best buys have come from auctions that share the same basic factors:
Amateur sellers who are making a few bucks selling grandpa's estate, or stuff they bought at a garage sale. Dealers with a following tend to generate higher prices for the goods they sell.
Ugly photography. The single most important element in an eBay auction is the photography. Bad photography = low bids. I'm good at "reading" photographs, and experienced enough to contact the sellers to request more images when the ones that I've seen leave more questions than provide answers. It's also surprising how many sellers will send you updated pictures without posting them to their listing, which means that you have an advantage over your competition.
Unrestored pipes with good bones. A dirty pipe, fresh from Grandpa's sock drawer, or the attic, but which looks to be in pretty good shape underneath the grime, can often be picked up for a bargain price.
Patience. Watch a lot of auctions for the item you are interested in buying before you start bidding. You'll get a sense of the market, the range of prices vs styles and condition. You reduce your chances of becoming roadkill.
Information. See something you're interested in but about which you have questions? Contact the seller and get your questions answered. If the seller isn't helpful, DON'T BID!
Good luck!

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Also, with crappy pictures I will save them and run them through editing software to adjust brightness and contrast. You would be surprised how well hidden flaws will pop out just by brightening the picture.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jesse, I am one lazy bastard so I only go for pipes that have been restored to a pristine condition. I have gotten some great deals over the years so I don't mind my system. This one I just bought has been restored and I thought I got a pretty good deal, after watching prices for the last month or so.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jesse, thanks for the laugh. Of course I will pay your fee, checks in the mail.
I didn't think I would get it for that price either. I did have a much higher bid in, but obviously didn't need it.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
Many thanks for the tips. I fully expect to end up with a couple of duds but hopefully they will be the minority!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoked this pipe first thing today and here are my impressions. The pipe itself is in great shape. The bowl had no cake so I could see if there were any issues and there were none. The walls are nice and thick and I did get a nice cool smoke. The pipe smoked dry as could be and the flavor of the tobacco I chose(2001 Rotary Navy Cut) was great. Now to the only complaint I had, the stem was ok but not as comfortable as my No American artisan pipes. The stem was thin enough, but the button was not as pronounced as I like so it was a little difficult clenching at times. I could find that one place where it was fitting my teeth ok, but I had to clench harder to keep it from falling out of my mouth. I think with more smoking I will figure it out.
I am really looking forward to smoking this pipe with a dimes worth of cake as it will smoke even better than it does now. I really am pleased with my first Barling and I am sure I will buy more.
Jesse, there are no markings on the underside of the pipe and I see no indentations of anything worn out, outside under the sun with a magnifying glass. There is a cross on the stem that is pretty worn, is that the barling logo?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Harris,
I'm pleased that you picked a good smoker! Mine smoke very dry and I find the draw easy. The cross is the stem logo, which consists of the word "Barling" crossing.
I find the tapered Barling stems not the best for clenching as their contour is convex right to the button. If the button has been buffed down it doesn't leave a lot of grip.
If you decide to buy another one, go for a saddle bit. That wide flat surface is easy to grip, stable, and very comfortable. With the exception of my early Barlings I tend to buy saddle bits for that reason.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jesse, thanks for the tip about saddle stems. Is there anyway to give me an idea of how old this pipe is?
Billkay, being an old guy, I was able to find one place amongst my chipped teeth that worked some.

Welcome to the Barling Club, a very beautiful pipe indeed.
Here is one of my first Barling Pipe. A Corporate Era Pot in Group 6 (King)

uyuFaiN.jpg

EE8cYnS.jpg

qF9Xr2x.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jesse, I was expecting year, month, day, hour of day as to when my pipe was made, 40's to 50's is way to big a spread, you will have to do better.
chris, very cool pipe, love the blast.

@jpm Of course you are in, if and after The Barling King Jesse gives the nod ahead :nana: Would love to see your collection. I wasnt even born in the 50's lol, oh wait my Late father was born in 1953 :puffpipe:
@cigrmastr Thanks Harris, it was a valuable ebay find for the price of 10oz of Six Pence
Chris :puffpipe:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
@ Chris-
Ok, so I am older than your late father! Almost as old as dirt..... Sorry for your loss.
Thanks! I will ask Jesse, then.... My "collection" consists of three Barlings, one I bought new 50 years ago, and two I got as estates just before the WCPS. Jesse has seen and handled one of them. Oh, tomorrow, it should be four; just ordered a sort of Hungarian sitter apparently from the 60's.

Status
Not open for further replies.