PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I have waited a long time to add an American carver to my collection. It has been a long and winding road for sure. I held out for something particular, something specific, something “American”. More importantly, the pipe needed to be a modern take on a classic shape. Preferably a Prince with silver band (stay tuned) to add to an existing collection and a future 7-day set of banded Pipes (Prince or Apple or Prince-ish). After a long journey, I am proud to find the one.
Prince With Titanium Band And Blue Bakelite Stem By Nate King. My First (And Only) Pipe By An American Carver. This Beauty Exemplifies American Craftsmanship (To My Eye). The Titanium band is wonderfully novel and the rare baby blue Bakelite sets it all off and balances the stummel perfectly.
EvArP16.jpg

nueVcRg.jpg

hzXW67R.jpg

YdXlaIa.jpg

IkKYLOD.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
And the partially completed 7-Day set of silver banded (Prince-ish, Apple-ish) pipes.
Classic British - Dunhill 1919-1921

NmwUD5E.jpg

Classic Danish - Former

C3PEyl3.jpg

Classic Italian - Castello

LSJpxIy.jpg

Classic American - Nate King

EvArP16.jpg

The journey continues, three more to go. Who’s next?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I know this thread is about your new pipe, but I've gotta say I LOVE that first Dunhill. Truly a classic beauty of a pipe.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
That is a very interesting and handsome pipe. I don't think I've ever had a bakelite stem before. Does it feel more like acrylic than vulcanite?
It's also surprising (to me) to read it's your first American pipe. I notice that I admire your taste in pipes whenever you post pics. Most of my own pipes are German and Danish (which is greater depends on whether you consider Ingo Garbe a German or Danish pipe maker), but I still have a dozen or so American pipes. Some Americans are making such terrific pipes, I don't know how I could have resisted so long.
Anyway, to the important part, I hope you enjoy it! Cheers!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
That blue Bakelite stem works

I agree. In fact that is what drew me to the pipe. The visual weight of the colored stem offsets the proportional weight of the banded stummel. Kinda hard to pull off IMHO but done well in this example.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I LOVE that first Dunhill.

Me too. I love it so much that I decided to chase a 7-Day set of similar pipes. But the original Dunhill Prince will always be “King”.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
It's a beauty. I love the stem. I gravitate towards pipes with colored stems...I know many don't like colored stems.
Congrats and enjoy!

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
Looks awesome. Definitely a modern take on things. Leave it to us yanks to throw tradition out the window :)
Did you commission it or did you stumble upon the exact pipe that met all your qualifications?
The whole collection is coming along nicely. I'll be interested to see how it progresses.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
This one caught my eye on Instagram. Like love, it found me when I wasn’t looking

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
Instagram is a slippery slope.
Indeed but Nate King is a stand up carver. I'd wouldnt hesitate ordering from him through an instagram post.

Jan 8, 2013
Fantasic grain! Wow! That is a lovely piece for sure.
The journey continues, three more to go. Who’s next?

You may need to add... Classic Irish
002-029-36626.jpg

It is indeed lovely. Enjoy the heck out of it! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.