PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I've been smoking a pipe a few years now, making purchases here and there of different pipes. I have around a dozen of various shapes a sizes. I think I've settled on the Canadian as my favorite shape. It always catches my eye, and the one that I own, a rather nice 1983 Pebble Grain XX Ashton, is by far my favorite to smoke. Anyone else especially admire the Canadian as a shape? Who are you favorite makers of this shape?

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Love 'em. My fave is the Ropp Extra Canadian. Hard to find though and when they come in stock they sell out fast.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My favorite shape is the volcano, but after buying a long Bruce Weaver "Bing-style" straight billiard, the long, straights are growing on me. A Canadian or lumberman is bound to find its way into my collection.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I was never a fan of the Canadian shape, but I just bought a Bing Crosby/Canadian style pipe from a friend and its a beautiful pipe. It may just change my thoughts entirely about Canadian's.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I love my three Canadians, two Barlings and one other. The pipes are a great shape, but as for shapes of Canadians, John Candy was not a good one.

Mar 1, 2014
Much as I do love the Canadian shape, technically I would have to say my favourite is the Lumberman or Lovat. Those poor tapered stems get the cold shoulder from me (when I bought a few batches of Ropp Canadians I did so with the intention of converting a few).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have three Canadians: a Benton/Iwan Ries Exclusive; a Johs; and a Stanwell brushed black. I see the Canadian as the stateliest shape. Because of the leverage, they are not the best clenchers (as mentioned in the earlier post) but fortunately, all of mine are fairly light weight briar.

jfox520

May 24, 2013
I absolutely love Canadians. I have 9 and its like trying to pick your favorite child.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I'm a fan of the Canadian shape and my favorite is my Kyriazanos, which I can't wait to get back, but that's another story.

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
I'm a Canadian fan. These are two commissions based on the Canadian shape, but with a prince-shape bowl. The bowl was fashioned after an Ashton prince. I had Paul Bonaquisti (he has since added a "c" to his last name, but my pipe was made pre-C) make the natural in his Ruvido finish in 1998. Then a couple of years ago, I asked Washington state carver Bill Boyle to do the same.
img_7252-600x450.jpg

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
The Canadian is also my favorite shape. In my collection are 2 Stanwells, 1 Ashton, 1 Hilson, 3 Boswells. I enjoy the Boswell and Stanwells the most. I have always wanted a Peterson, but have never had a chance to grab one.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Greysmoke, those are beautiful! Love the take on the bowl shape, and the blast on both is great, I bet they are a joy to hold. Dr Whatson, I think the Peterson interpretation of the shape is great, I'm looking to add a Savinelli next I think, the way they shape the shank seems rather unique among other makers.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
With all the pipe shapes available you'd still be hard pushed to beat a Canadian. I have 4 a Peterson cara xl a John brumfit & 2 blakemar's. I can't say I have a favourite, they all perform outstandingly.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
One of the shapes I'll be looking for at the Chicago show is a 7-8" Canadian, Liverpool, Lovat, or Lumberman. With that said, I love the extended looks but just can't get into oval shanks. I know it's a key trait of the Canadian but it's not my jam.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Canadian is my favourite pipe shape and the shape that I own the most of, about a third of my collection. :puffy:

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Love Canadians in all facets! I have Canadian roots, one of my Canadian cousins was an actor in Mystery Alaska. I have 2 Canadians, a Weber straight grain and a Sasieni 8 dot Amesbury. The Weber is a fave of mine, huge bowl and smoked great! I usually smoke it when I'm golfing.

Status
Not open for further replies.