PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
So I've been avoiding this blend thinking it was a strong Latakia blend or just too strong for my taste buds.
Wow, wow, wow was I wrong!
Quite possibly the best tobacco I have tried to date. Complex, fragrant, luxurious, perfect. I don't know how else to describe it as I only had one bowl thanks to a fellow pipe club member. The bowl was constantly changing and in an incredibly good way. I'll need to buy some tins to be able to pick out flavours. I can't believe I waited this long to try it, but I'm hooked for sure!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's one of my all time favorites. It has plenty of flavor but doesn't seem challenging just for the sake of it. I like to rotate

various English blends with aromatics and Virginias and burleys, among others. But Dunhill MM 965 is kind of my baseline.

Forums folks (mostly) always speak well of it. Nothing can please everyone, but this blend comes close.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Member Lestrout introduced MM965 to me at Boswells a couple years ago, at a forum meet & greet. Like always, he had 15 or so blends to try. I was relatively new to pipes and still a bit bewildered by the wide array of available blends. One bowl hooked me and it's been pretty much a daily smoke for me. Since then, he's brought and let me try numerous competitors. Some are OK, but I keep going back to MM965. So for myself, it is also my baseline. Pipes International has it for $8/tin.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
i would be interested in knowing the opinions to Parker's question too... The Tins are a little more roubust in my opinion. What do you all think? Both good though

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I totally agree with you guys. Since finding 965 it has been a staple in my rotation.
I originally tried it in a tin, but then bought a pound of it, so I can't recall either a flavor or strenght difference.
Just a great all around Lat smoke. Not too strong, not too weak, just right.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Hhmmm.

965, to my taste, is a one-trick-pony. I strongly suggest you invest in at least one tin of Skiff and one tin of Frog Morton. Blend 1/3 FM to 2/3 Skiff and you will have a much better blanced blend with plenty of Lat taste but with a bit of backbone. Add 1/4 Nightcap if this is too bland for you. Alternatively, there are many G. L. Pease blends to try. He is a Latfreak, but manages to get hold of choice leaf. I would suggest you cellar them for about a year before smoking.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Hmmm, glad you posted this Brian. I bought a tin last April and have yet to open it. Once I work through the four tins of flake I have open I am going to the MM 965. It will be a year old by the time I get to it. I look forward to that now

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Maybe it's my rather poor palate, but I didn't find this to be a strong Latakia blend at all, actually I didn't really detect any in the smoke. My impressions were of complex orientals versus Latakia. Whatever the case may be, I loved the mouth feel of the smoke, it's rich and creamy and it clings to your mouth in such a fantastic manner that the flavour seems to linger. It's really pathetic but I can't stop thinking about this blend, on to 4Noggins I go!

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I do smoke other blends but MM965 is my go to smoke. It's wonderfully consistent and tastes great every time. I just bought a tin in Germany as I ran out and it's bang on the money. MM965 has exactly the right cream + spice for my palate with a nic kick at the end, but not so hard I can't function. Usually burns right through with one real light and always leaves me wanting more. Really glad I got to this one early in my hobby life. Someone said on here that it's the most popular tobacco in the World; I can see why.
Andy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have smoked both and have both on hand, tinned and bulk Dunhill MM 965, and I find the bulk fully as good,

kept in a jar.

tankbuster183

Lurker
Feb 27, 2014
Deptford NJ
[It's really pathetic but I can't stop thinking about this blend]
I love being able to use this site at work.
Having said that, guess what I think about all day?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Tankbuster I hear you, benefits of my own office and being the boss. As I keep reading this thread out came the credit card and an order was just placed with 4Noggins for 5 tins. Hurry up postal service!

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
I'm like you, I have put this blend on the back burner for a long time. I placed my first order yesterday for 965 after repeated post of people that really like it. I do like latakia, but this will be my first of the Dunhill MM 965. It will arrive Monday, I can't wait...

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I totally take this blend for granted. It's not Balkan Sobranie, but it would be sorely missed if it were gone. Yep, another reason to buy more tobacco.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
MM965 was the first English blend I smoked after starting out aromatics. That was in 1970 and I've been a latakia fan since. 965 is the blend by which all others are measured.

sidious

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2014
Sweet! I just placed an order with 4noggins yesterday. MM965 is one of the tins I ordered. I know what I will be trying first.

frost

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2014
Colorado
I also really like this blend and just ordered another 10 oz. as I'm running low. I've even been browsing My Mixture memorabilia on ebay!

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Hi guys, been awhile. Hope you all are well, and getting through this very cold winter.
I have a tin in the cellar since last summer. I haven't been smoking much Latakia lately, but you've convinced me to pop that tin and give it a go. Once I finish a couple open tins, I'll try the 965.

Status
Not open for further replies.