My Craziest Haul (yet)

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bungee

Oct 31, 2015
So I got this bunch of good classic pipes that, for some reason, never get smoked.

And this other guy has a bunch of carver/artist pipes in the same situation.

We both wanted to try something new so we did a swap.
He got seven of my Petersons (nice ones), two Brebbias (year pipes), a Jeantet, a BBB Spigot, a Big Ben and two Falcons.
And I got this 6 beauties...
I didn't buy anything, but I'm calling it my Xmas present.
What do you think?
Cheers,
J
Group shot

Chris Askwith Morta

Steve Liskey Volcano

Daniel Mustran Volcano

Alexey Korolev Reversed Nut

Daniel Mustran Ugly Duckling

Sergey Cherenapov Bamboo

pruss

Preferred Member
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
8O
Um... you win.
Holy crap.
The Liskey is the stunner in that group, to my eye, followed closely by the Cherenapov.
Merry Christmas!
-- Pat

bigpond

Preferred Member
Oct 14, 2014
That's about the best pipe related happening I've seen in a long while. Kudos to you both. That Cheranapov though,...I'm sure Satou's ears are burning.

stanlaurel

Preferred Member
Jan 31, 2015
That's really a major transaction! I love the Mustran Volcano. I hope that you plan to smoke them.

gloucesterman

Preferred Member
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
That Bungee, is one hell of a haul, each one is stunning by itself, together they're spectacular. Anyone would be pretty proud of that set. You did very well. Merry Christmas.

brudnod

Preferred Member
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Don't care how pristine the Petes were; you got the win on this swap! The Morta is classically beautiful and, although I don't generally like bamboo stems, the Cherenapov is remarkably well done. That flame grain is just gorgeous. Great trade!!!

samcoffeeman

Apr 6, 2015
That is a heck of a haul!
Love the Askwith Morta, if you're ever interested in parting with it, cash or trade, shoot me a PM.

bungee

Oct 31, 2015
Thanks for all your nice comments!
Regarding the deal sounding too good to be true, bare in mind that down where I live pipes are extremely expensive due to restrictions on imported goods. Peterson in particular since it is the pipe coveted by every local pipe smoker.

As an example, I have seen prices for the Sherlock Holmes series pipes in excess of USD 600.

I never paid those astronomical nunbers since I travel a lot, but some less fortunate smokers do on a regular basis.
I know I got a sweet deal, but the other guy was happy too.

And he got a couple of Supremes, two Premier and some other top of the line pipes. Do not think he traded for Donegals or Arans. And the guy has a collection of artisan pipes you would not believe and he just wanted something different.
Merry Christmas to you all,
J

fnord

Preferred Member
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
If the swap ended with a handshake and a smile then it's a fine transaction.
But, Holy Mother of God, did you ever hit pay dirt.
Stunning. Just stunning, Bungee, and I couldn't be happier for you.
The Cherenapov kills but that might be a fifteen minute smoke for me. I'm pretty traditional with my burners and the Askwith Morta hits every button: billiard, thick walled with thousands of potential bowls to enjoy.
You did real good.
I've never smoked a Pete and would love to see what you traded out and what you have left. Any chance of a before and after pix?
Fnord

winton

Preferred Member
Oct 20, 2010
Love the morta. But as others have said, if the trade ended with a handshake, everyone wins.