PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dontbeaburleyman

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2013
Central California
Wanted to share a Frank Augsberger pipe I purchased at an estate sale. It was used and missing a stem, but it "spoke" to me.

There isn't a lot of information on Mr. Augsberger nor a lot of pictures of his work. Unfortunately, he died in 1995. I wanted to have a stem made, but didn't have a lot to go on.

While reading several biographies that mentioned his name, I found he worked for Jack Weinberger at the same time as Mark Tinsky. Since I wanted to use someone that actually knew Mr. Augsberger, I contacted Mr. Tinsky and asked if he' make a stem. He graciously agreed!

I'm very pleased with how it turned out and wanted to share the finished product with you.

Attachments

• Augs3.jpg
    Augs3.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Augs1.jpg
    Augs1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 0

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Cool story...nice pipe. Do you know what the original stem looked like? Was it similar to what you had made?

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
This is only the second Augsberger I've ever seen. We had one in the shop I worked at for years. I worked there 15 years -/+ and it was always there until my best friend bought it. His has a standard Preben Holm style black stem. Very cool pipe!

Reactions: addamsruspipe

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Wanted to share a Frank Augsberger pipe I purchased at an estate sale. It was used and missing a stem, but it "spoke" to me.

There isn't a lot of information on Mr. Augsberger nor a lot of pictures of his work. Unfortunately, he died in 1995. I wanted to have a stem made, but didn't have a lot to go on.

While reading several biographies that mentioned his name, I found he worked for Jack Weinberger at the same time as Mark Tinsky. Since I wanted to use someone that actually knew Mr. Augsberger, I contacted Mr. Tinsky and asked if he' make a stem. He graciously agreed!

I'm very pleased with how it turned out and wanted to share the finished product with you.

View attachment 7295
View attachment 7299

View attachment 7300

View attachment 7302
Classy pipe! And I think Mark hit a homer in on the stem, it’s perfect.
Cheers!!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Great looking pipe, and good stem choice. Not terribly flashy and doesn't derail the total composition.?

Status
Not open for further replies.