PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I opted for the written review at TR.com, and it read like the musings of a true aesthete.

Nice job on the play-by-play throughout the bowl. And yes, I admire Darwin, so I think I'll

appreciate this blend. My one and only tin has been sitting on a shelf since it came on the

market, so I won't be in suspense much longer.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Excellent review for sure! Although I am still relatively new to exploring all the different tobacco blends Six Pence has become one of my favourite blends. Let the cellaring begin. :puffy:

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I do enjoy Sixpence. I'd love to hear how you "get there" on Quiet Nights- I tried it once and found it to be a wholly unenjoyable smoke.

Hi Tarak,
All GLP blends need time to "breathe",when I first smoked Key Largo, Gaslight, Quiet Nights, SixPence, they were so-so in experience. Infact I actively avoided Key Largo the most and basically smoked my other baccy. I revisited them about 3-4 weeks time and the smoke was very enjoyable. Let them breathe for a month and then try it. Small bowls work wonders for Quiet Nights and Gaslight.
Hope it helps,
Chris

ThePipeMonk

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
My understanding is this has a topping? Is it a in your face kind of thing or subdued background? I smoked a single bowl when it first came out but do not really remember it.
Thanks for the review, TPM.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm a Sixpence fan. It's got a really unique flavoring, and I'm apparently the only one on the world who finds it akin to good Gewürztraminer. Starts off more like fortified wine and settles into northern white. And it's got backbone. I referred to it on my review as "Fillmore light" with an alcohol topping.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Thanks very much Chris. I am really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Quiet Nights and Gaslight.
In the short term, can you please define "breath"? Does this mean move it to a sealed jar? Or does this also imply allowing it to be exposed to the open air?
Also do you have any thoughts on aging GLP Latakia blends in the tin? Are they good from the start? Or do they need some age?

@MrEnglish and @Booker - Call me Chris, brothers. Yup Sixpence has a medium dose of sweet sweet brandy. It's quite subtle when you smoke it but always gives you pleasurable hint of its existence and doesn't vanish from the leaf at all even when you jar it in a mason jar for long periods of time. That's what I like about Greg Pease's blends they keep on unraveling themselves with every bowl.
@Stan What I mean is just take it out of the tin and jar it for a few weeks. I would recommend you having a bowl fresh out of the tin and then after 2/4/6/8 weeks. You'll see a very pleasurable change in the leaf. GLP Blends are good 2/4 weeks out of the tin but become something really epic after 5/10/15 years on them. I am currently hunting for aged GLP blends so that I can share my experience and compare them to younger tins for the same blend.
@perique I need to get hold of the blends you mentioned, are they still available or went out of production?
Cheers,

Chris

ThePipeMonk

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Thanks again Chris.
GLP Blends are good 2/4 weeks out of the tin but become something really epic after 5/10/15 years on them.
This means 5/10/15 years still in the tin?
I have an 8 year old tin of both Abingdon and Odyssey but I can't part with them.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
@perique I need to get hold of the blends you mentioned, are they still available or went out of production?
Sorry, Gewurtztraminer isn't a tobacco blend. It's a white wine varietal that Sixpence's topping to be reminiscent of once the stronger alcohol flavors burn off.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
Thanks for the interesting review and video. I really enjoy Sixpence...it's one of my favorite GL Pease blends. And you are definitely spot-on, it needs to breathe first.

Status
Not open for further replies.