PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
What are your recommendations for US blends for the UK buyer? It will be a 4noggins order English/Balkan and Virginia/ Virginia, perique.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
The selection is huge, that's a really tough question.
All I can do is list some of the best blends that I've tried from across the pond.
McClelland Beacon Extra - VaPer

McClelland 5100 Red Cake - Va (bulk)

McClelland Red and Black - Va

McClelland Tudor Castle - Va/Oriental (Never see this one talked about much)

GL Pease Gaslight - English

GL Pease Quiet Nights - Engligh

GL Pease Haddo's Delight - VaPer (semi-aro topping)
I'd go deep on any one of these.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
For English/Balkan: McClelland Three Oaks Syrian, Wilderness, Legends, and Samovar.
I used to be big on some of the G.L. Pease blends (Gaslight, Quiet Nights, Abingdon, Odyssey) but they are now like a baloney sandwich to McClelland's filet mignon.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Hearth & Home - Blackhouse, Magnum Opus and White Knight
McClelland - Frog Morton Cellar, Christmas Cheer, All the bulk flakes, Yenidje highlander

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
You can't go wrong with any McClelland blend IMHO. Yenidje Highlander, Smyrna #1 and Drama Reserve from the Grand Oriental series are top shelf, if you don't require in your face strength or flavor.Bombay Court...love it. Oriental #8. Gets NO love but is a great example of a middle of the road English.Christmas Cheer, if available too.
Mike S.

Mar 29, 2016
Bulk
McClelland: 2015.
Cornell&Diehl: Pirate Kake and Billy Budd.
Charles Fairmorn: Lancer's Slices.
Tins
Hearth&Home: WhiteKnight.
McClelland: Aurora, Boston 1776, Drama Reserve.
G.L.Pease: Abingdon, Chelsea Morning, Gaslight, Quiet Nights, Union Square.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I've only scratched the surface, of what is available from the states. I order from 4 noggins as well, although I haven't tried their house blends yet. I believe, if you ask them they'll gladly send

You some samples. On the whole I'm afraid I've been disappointed with a lot of 'must try' blends from the states. Amazes me that the final product, which contain the same tobacco leaves, can taste so very different to what we're used to, here in the u.k. Having said that its great fun trying, & the tins are great!

My recommendations are, from what I've tried. English- Bengal slices/fusiliers ration/Maltese falcon & Westminster. Va-Per- Escudo/mclellands beacon/5oclock shadow.

Obviously everyone's taste buds are different, but hope this helps. Simon.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Hey Simon, I'd be interested in hearing which blends you didn't care for of the US 'must try's'

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
McClelland St James Woods, or 2015, Gl Pease: Gaslight, Quiet Nights. H&H Blackhouse.

owen

May 28, 2014
Thanks for all the replies, I now have an initial long list. Any UK pipers know how the duty works?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
From GL Pease:

-Haddo's Delight

-Fillmore

-Cairo
From McClelland:

Grand Orientals series:

- Drama Reserve

- Yenice Agonya

- Black Sea Sokhoum

Oriental Mixture No.8

Beacon Extra
From Low Country Pipe & Cigar: Waccamaw
From C&D:

Rajah's Court

Exhausted Rooster
For American tobaccos, I strongly recommend checking out Pipeworks & Wilke and Peretti, though you will have to go straight to the source on these.
Edit: if you can get Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding, that would be a gem to try as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.