PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
That's pretty cool, Anthony. That oughta make you a heavy hitter. Do you get in free to his shows? After parties, too, huh? :worship:

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Years, ago I picked up a hitch hiker in Biloxi. Turned out to be a guitarist for the Isley Brothers (yeah, that many years ago). He told me to come to the show that night and use the back stage entrance. So, me and a buddy showed up and asked for "Wa Wa", he comes to the door and ushered us in and left us to wonder around backstage. I had a David Bowie tee shirt on and some of the Roadies thought I was a Roadie too and had worked for Bowie. Man, I felt like "The Shit" that night! Cool memory from the long ago.....

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Being a DJ in the '90s scarred me. :mrgreen: Usually dark wave, techno industrial, and trance.
It's ok embers, you're not alone. My gf was into the rave scene in the 90s and early 2000s, and a couple years ago she talked me into seeing DJ Aphrodite. Now I like jungle. That led me down a YouTube rabbit hole, and I started listening to D&B (especially dark/hardcore), some heavier dubstep, and various types of the more loud, aggressive kind of electronic music. I've always liked industrial and metal, so I found a lot that I liked and can appreciate the skill it takes to be a good dj and to make electronic music. It's more complicated than I thought!
As for me...after reading this thread, I'm smoking my pipe and listening to a dark drum and bass mix on YouTube. Earlier today it was the Rev. Horton Heat, yesterday it was Tom Waits' Rain Dogs. Not long ago, I decided I needed to start appreciating jazz, so sometimes I'll play something by Coltrane, Miles Davis, or Art Blakey. Sometimes I play classical music to annoy everyone else in the house.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I listen to whatever I feel like listening to at the time. Right now it is Ella Fitzgerald, after listening to about 30 minutes of Billie Holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.