PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
Just wanted to know if anyone would fancy a listen to some of the music I've recorded. Some songs I have friends accompany me, while others are completely my own. There's two, performed by my friend's band called Flytraps For Supper. Also, if anyone in the Nevada County area wants to get together and jam, let me know.
UPDATE: http://soundcloud.com/doug-ski/tracks

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Nice..How did you record it?Individual tracks at once or instrument by turn.Also what do you use for mics and DAW?

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
This is the last band I recorded..it's a little on the METAL side but since you're into engineering you can appreciate the recording.I may have converted one of these guys to pipes too BTW

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fhuman-abolishment-theory%2Fdeath-hookers-and-glory&h=hAQHkBnYy

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
I recorded instrument by turn on Pro-Tools. The mics I used were SM58s, but for the vocals on Whiskey For Broken Hearts I used a Shure Super 55.

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
@nightmarejones, Human Abolishment Theory sounds pretty good. I saw a band a while ago called Rowan. They kinda sound like Human Abolishment Theory.

May 31, 2012
Dude, those are some boss trax!
That first Flytraps For Supper track is pretty wild, like crazy man, crazy. Kinda like Beefheart-prog-Boredoms- desert surf-Napalm Death type of thing...well-done!
But what really flipp'd my lids & oggled my earholes was your solo stuff, for real, I can dig the eclectic diversity you got going on because it has traces of the music I love most all rolled up into a solid songbook, reminding me all at once of Syd Barrett, Red Krayola, Azusa Plane, Vibracathedral Orchestra, Neutral Milk Hotel etc etc, but all done in your individual style.
Good stuff!!

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Hell yeah Pro-tools...we use Sonar producer x1 with an 8 CH.Octa-capture interface.For mics we have a 7 pc. C.A.D drum mic set,Octavia condenser vocal mic,Sm 57 and Sm 58....We have actually recorded a couple bands that sound just like that,it's pretty funny..Thanks btw

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
I really need to invest in a good drum mic set. Right now, I just use two mics. Either micing the snare and bass, or placing the mics on both sides of the set so that the snare sits in the middle.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
If you have multi channels available they have magnavox mics at walmart for $20 I think.That's actually what I used for one of my first with a 4 track and a tiny 4 ch. pa.Then you can do an SM 58 for an overhead in the center,one for snare then a chump mic for bass cuz the seem to capture more low-end and the other in between the toms slightly angled toward the floor-tom..I'm not tryin to tell you how to run things,just ideas since I've been in that spot many times before.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
My website is being funny, so here's my lame-ass YouTube channel. Some of it is my old Black/Doom band Finsternis and the rest is my solo stuff KBT. One video is just me shooting some plastic heads with different guns, so ignore that.
http://www.youtube.com/user/killersbytrade/videos

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
@ baronsamedi, have you ever heard of Wizard Smoke? They're a doom metal band. Also, my friend's old band, Individuals Union are pretty good too. They broke up fifteen years ago though.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I like Clutch, the Hellacopters, Orange Goblin and of course Acid Bath. Finsternis was a little different. We were probably better known for guzzling mead and throwing cow blood everywhere than music, but we incorporated jazz, doom and blackmetal into a 45 minute opus that we played onstage as a continuous song. We broke out master recording into tracks, but it was designed as one piece. Our longest "piece" was 14 minutes. It was time consuming to write, but we all got to kind of do our own thing musically.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
ACID BATH...Man I've only met 3 people that know who they are,that's awesome.Great job on the recordings,especially the panning of the Overhead mics,not too many people do that.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Thanks, man. It was all mixed and mastered at a real studio DRS in Waco, Texas by me and Steve Rosas, who I've been recording with since 1997. The Finsternis stuff was done the old fashioned way, with bringing the whole band into the studio with tons of insturments, but the KBT tracks was done on some old equipment bu me in my house!
Acid Bath is probably one of my all time favorite bands, and Dax Riggs' stuff in general is very artistic and interesting. Fu Manchu and Cathedral are another two of the Doom, "Stoner" bands I like, though I'm not a stoner by any means.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Listening to tracks now. Nice. I have a little studio I need to set up, just the bare essentials to record everything myself. The stuff I play is pretty out there and nothing like what I listen to. Someone mentioned Doom. Just yesterday I listened to Dopesmoker again. Followed that up with some ambient, The Sinking of the Titanic, so I am all over the place. The stuff I write tends to have no meaning but is very easy for the listener (if their was one) to put meaning to. I quit playing live because of stagefright so I guess the internet is the perfect audience for me. ROCK!

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
Wow. Forgot all about this thread. I'll take hobie1dog's advice and post one I really had fun with. There are a few extras on my YT channel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaIj0p8tGNY

I played acoustic guitar, vocals, and harmonica here, and my buddy played bass, engineer played lead guitar on the bridge, and his friend did drums.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
You might like a guy I used to know and jam with in the 90's in San Marcos, Scott H. Biram. Weird calling him that because we just called him Fro. Apparently he is world famous now and constantly on tour. No surprise really as he was the most prolific musician I ever met. A true one man band: http://www.scottbiram.com/

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I was in a band most of my adult life but I don't have any tapes or discs anymore. I'm about to call my old band and see what I can do about that. We were deemed a junk rock band with a sound of Slayer meets Clutch meets The Melvins. lol Very intense music with very stupid lyrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.