Music: Can You Sing, Play An Instrument Etc.? Show Us!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Been wanting to learn the keyboard but no money to buy one. Thus, I've contented myself with trying to learn the recorder. So far, the only thing I can play is the Morrowind main theme, though. :(

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Hey, Machado. I'm from Brazil too. Beleza?
Back in 2016 my friend and I self published an album just for the sake of it. We don't really have professional expectations in the music industry so we have made it available for free at bandcamp and other channels.
You can find us here: https://tellthepeopleistay.bandcamp.com/ (or look for us in spotify).
We are both long time pipe smokers and play a little bit of everything. To be completely honest, I don't even remember which instrument each of us recorded in every track but only which songs or parts were composed by me. Hope you like it.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@techie, I sing.
My years smoking all kinds of things made my voice a bit more Leonard Cohen like, plus I am a big fan of his.
I'm actually recording a song by him right now (I record covers all the time with my shitty "home studio").
It's my hobby.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Since no one here has posted anything yet, I will be the first.
Enjoy (or be disgusted, whatever) :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/rodrigocovers/leonard-cohen-alexandra-leaving-vocal-cover-1

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@olkofri This is very rustic but very medieval-sounding, sounds like it came out of Zelda or LOTR. I liked it, some potential in there. Sounds like a flute or something.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I play guitar , sorta
Working on a few musical stylings , blues mostly , some Neil young stuff , odd assortments of jazz chords , stormy Monday , blue monk ..

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Great thread. I had zero musical experience other than a deep love of music. I *discovered* karaoke when I was 25 and sang pretty regularly for about 12 years. Despite having a really tiny range, I was actually able to knock out some good music during that time.
I was at AIT and had a super raspy voice from all the shouting when I started. My first night ever singing I was able to nail Janis Joplin's 'Another Piece of my Heart.' I received a standing ovation and decided that karaoke was pretty damn cool.
One of the last times I sang Karaoke was in the immediate wake of my divorce. I sang Little River Band's 'Cool Change' and brought several people to (emotional, not painful) tears.
Nowadays, I just serenade my wife in the car on trips and she likes it. Making her happy is more rewarding than a room full of strangers, so I don't karaoke anymore.
Music can be so amazingly cathartic. It can make your ups uppier and your downs less down (or at least you can share them with a room full of people who can share that moment with you).
It is never too late to explore music. I would urge anyone to take the plunge, whether it is piano, guitar, voice, or some other instrument. Hell tackle the didgeridoo and post videos on youtube. Whatever you do with music, you will grow from it.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Singing as an amateur (I also go to group classes) has been my hobby for the last 6 years. It's what I do to release my emotions.
I used to smoke cigarettes too, but... cigars and pipes are so much better. :lol:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I need to have a few cold ones before I'd feel comfy singing, and even then, only when I'm alone. Went to a karaoke bar in Berlin last May, at the end of our field trip and I managed to 'sing' Pearljam's Black. :oops:
I hope the video was ever since swallowed by the Internet black hole.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I have an arrangement with the local fire dept.: I only sing if necessary to clear a room! As to playing an instrument, I am great with the stereo! In other words, I have NO musical talent! Now, dancing, that's another story...used to teach ballroom dance back when people actually did that kind of stuff! Yup...codger here, and proud of it!!!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

@mothernature are those your vocals?
Nope. Andrew Hursts' vocals. I play guitar (and sing, but not on this one). It's all I had handy in my email. I played in a band called Info Nympho with him. This recording was Them There (band with myself and me friend Joe on drums), and it was then sent to Hurst and he laid down vocals. A collaboration of sorts. I'll post some more stuff later. Stuff that's either all me or at least has me singing. I'm not as good as Andy though. I like his style.
My years smoking all kinds of things made my voice a bit more Leonard Cohen like
That's about as Leonard Cohen as it gets. Nice job.

Status
Not open for further replies.