Music: Can You Sing, Play An Instrument Etc.? Show Us!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@mothernature Thanks for the compliment, Mr. Cohen is eternal and an icon IMO. You have an indie-like voice, I like your lo-fi sound.
@mnewb1 Do you record everything? Those songs sound very professional, by the pictures your studio is cool!

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@mnewb1 Is that your voice? Amazing voice, dude. A cool bass-baritone or something of that sort... Rare voice.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@newbroom rustic sound and voice, I don't know what style this is but I dig it. So rustic that you sang it with a rustic pipe in your mouth. :D

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
whoops. I inadvertently restricted the harp vid. It's from back when I had a dsl and less than 1 mbps DOWNload, let alone upload.

I think it's accessible now.

mnewb1

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2018
@machado, on that song it is actually not my voice but voice samples that seemed to work well with the song
Here is the song I meant to link with the title Beautiful Day...this is my voice
Beautiful Day

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I am a poet who has been at work on a sequence of 42 poems interwoven in three narratives. The first two narratives have been extensively rewritten but yet need more revision. The third written this fall has put all the pieces in play, which is exciting. It is very cerebral and scholarly, and as yet no one has found it of sufficient value to put in the time necessary for its enjoyment or evaluation. I'm ~2000 hours in on my end. Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
During the 2.5 years of its composition, I've defined the thematic development and the poetry that will satisfy me, and have become capable of producing it.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I play all brass and sax,flute, etc. Played in "Chicago" style bands and Jazz/swing for years. Haven't done anything for 20 years now...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have writerly pursuits (along with salted' and others) but to stick to the music theme, I was a wash-out in my six-year-old's public school piano lessons, but later spent several years sawing away at my grandfather's violin and roaming around in the hierarchy of the second violin section of the student orchestra including a concert once memorable with my parents. I finally rejoiced despite breaking my wrist in a bad kid acrobatic stunt when I could quit the violin lessons. After that I taught myself the usual chords on the uke, and can still play quite a few tunes, a smattering of classical, many folk tunes, pop, etc., on the harmonica. The blues eludes me. I struggle with mastering the valves on a coronet, but am a killer with a sufficiently drunk audience on the slide whistle, though I need a string band to play. I think the value of a better than average public school education was learning the many activities and subject areas for which I have no talent. I like to sing but realized long ago that I sound far better to myself than to any listener, ranging between baritone and bass. I do notice that if you learn three chords on a uke you can sing almost anything, opera to pop -- not well, but you can do it. That gives you the measure of my musical talent.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Machado, nice voice. Deep, sultry, velvety... I bet the women dig you.
Thank you! I have the habit to send them songs and recite verses to try and conquer their hearts. :lol:
My speaking voice is sometimes kind of timid though. What I really do like is to sing!

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I graduated from U of MD with a B.A. in Criminal Justice, but for my first year I was a music major and classical trumpet player. I started playing in grade school, then continued in high school. I was first chair trumpet in the MD All-State Orchestra and Mid-East Music Conference concert band during my senior year. The Mid-East thing was at Duquesne Unversity, and my buddy and I roomed with one of the music students there. We ended up in a bar, and I played like crap the next day thanks to a hangover of legendary proportions.
I went on to U of MD, where I played in the wind ensemble and orchestra. Then I quit and changed my major. A few years after college I was married, and part of that blissful and thankfully short-lived ordeal was stupidly hocking my Bach Stradivarius when we were broke. When I still played I used to make a few bucks doing weddings and holiday masses, usually in churches. My favorite thing was playing in a large church with a full-sized pipe organ accompaniment. It's hard not to sound good with those kind of acoustics.
Ironically I live in New Orleans now, where people actually think trumpets are cool. Just think...I could be standing on the corner busking between the kid who bangs on plastic buckets and the guy who paints himself silver and just stands there.
In a pinch I could also play the baritone, euphonium (pretty much the same thing as the baritone), tuba, and French horn, since they aren't that much different from a trumpet. I also have an electric guitar, supposedly at my daughter's house, that I used to mess around with for fun.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I play in a couple of bands. Mostly play keys, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, banjo, bass, and lead sing. I’m also a singer songwriter.

Aug 14, 2012
I am not a real musician, but have played some strange instruments. The best was cardboard mailing tubes. I punch a hole in the metal end and use a trumpet mouthpiece. You can get all the bugle notes. An eight footer is the bass, a small one the soprano.

Status
Not open for further replies.