PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
My first ounce of tobacco is starting to wane down, and a new purchase of some bulk tobaccos may be in my near future. I have some 1 pint Ball jars to keep them in, and I'm not keen on going out and getting smaller ones. But in order to save space, multiple 1 oz ziplock baggies of tobacco would easily fit into a single jar. Would this be problematic over the course of a few months? Would keeping multiple bags of tobacco in one jar still meld their tastes together to a noticeable degree? Would just separating the tobaccos by type (english, virginia, aromatic, etc) be enough to preserve them?
Thanks everybody!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I wouldn't use ziplock bags, not the kind you buy in the store. If you have much thicker walled bags, and wrap them around themselves, for a few months I think you'd be o.k. Not for real cellaring.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Polyethylene sandwich bags are gas permeable. Freezer bag are just thicker version but use the same material. Mylar bags used for vacuum sealing will prevent odor/aroma transfer. In my experience flavors seem to merge somewhat within 2 days of being stored in the same jar.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I don't think it's a particularly good idea, but then putting the same types in the same jar might not be that noticeable. I would not however put different aromatic tobaccos in the same jar unless they have the same flavor. (cherry with cherry, etc.) I've only done this once with SG Chocolate Flake and GH Bob's Chocolate Flake. I smoked them for about a month and couldn't decide which I liked better, so I left them in the baggies and jarred them together. After six months I was hoping the flavors might meld some, but I can still tell the difference. It's a risk to be sure, but I don't think like flavors would be changed that much short term.
On the other hand, a box of a dozen 1/2 pint jars is only about is only about $8. Seems like cheap insurance...

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
@JPMCW. Yes the oxygen in the jar would make it stale, you are right. If he can find small mason jars, use them. Freezer bags are a good backup. This is where buying in bulk 8ounces is a good thing. No special jars.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
The Mutt Jar - Forum Link
Toaster Leavin's - Forum Link
When there is only an ounce left...if you can't finish it off...these links can be a solution for a bit of fun. Definitely gets interesting. If it tastes strange, just add a little more of something that will fix it up...After the weird combos of tobacco in my jar...I have only been disappointed one time. Then...another that was amazing, and several that are just fun to smoke and ponder what's going on within that jar.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Right-o, I suppose I'll suck it up and get some 1/2 pint or quart jars. Thank you all for your advice!

mathoozula

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2013
The aromatics will definitely blend together in a couple of days. I'm not sure how long it would take for English blends to taste similar, but I wouldn't risk it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
On the other hand, a box of a dozen 1/2 pint jars is only about is only about $8.
I would consider doing this for another reason: it's easier and less messy than using bags.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Bags have too many issues, the jars are easy enough. If I know I'm going to smoke it soon, I have come to use old tins that are in good shape with a (new of course) coffee filter. Seemed like a good idea being as that's how they are shipped. Coffee filter just keeps it from going all over the tin and leaving a mess for me....Feel free to explain if there are any reasons this may be a bad idea. Haven't seen anyone else mention it anywhere.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Tyler as I use old tins all the time as a short term strategy and for travel tobacco my opinion is there is no problem doing this. One caution I have found is you need to clean the tin edges periodically to keep the tobacco bits off them. I also use a wet paper towel to clean the rubber seal on the lid. Others may have different experiences, but it has worked great for me and the tins get used many times instead of being trash.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Yeah I couldn't bring myself to waste them. However, I just wiped them down with a dry paper towel. Not sure of the impact of water; so I never tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.