PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I have an oversize pear brog. It smokes ok but the pearwood darkens quickly, ruining the beautiful finish. I wouldn't buy another.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Amazon is one of the biggest sellers of Mr Brog pipes. I have several of them an have had no problems with them.. I even have the lumberjack it is the size of 1/2 of a can of pop. And it smokes well. was surprised about that. It is a three hour smoker. I'd say go for it.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
They are good pipes for the money. I have several and like briars some smoke better then others.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I have a Mr. Brog Amigo and its a good smoker,but not a great smoker. It tends to smoke a little hotter than my briars and gets hot a little quicker, which may be partly my fault. I tend to puff a little hard at times, I'm still trying to remedy that. On the plus side, it doesn't seem to impart any wierd flavors to the tobacco. I would agree that it's a good pipe for the money.

canuckken

Lurker
Sep 18, 2015
Airdrie
Well it is good to know they are not total junk. I decided to take the chance and ordered 2. I chose these
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161734400657?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161601068727?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard good things about Mr. Brog. Especially for new pipe smokers who want to build their rotation on a budget. They are nifty looking pipes and seem to smoke well. Some are briar, but the pear wood ones seem to do pretty well too. My only complaint is with the website which automatically parades the pipes past you in an annoying way. I'd like control of viewing the assortment that most pipe sites offer. Trying to catch a particular pipe as it passes is like a carnival midway game. There may be a way to make the site behave better, but I haven't had the patience to figure it out. I think the pipes are quite good, but the website is quite bad.
Those are nice looking pipes. A morta for just over sixty bucks seems like a find. Good deal.

canuckken

Lurker
Sep 18, 2015
Airdrie
Which site are you referring too mso489? I prefer to view the pipes on eBay this way. http://www.ebay.ca/sch/mr.brog-direct/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
I got a couple when I first started out. A small, dark red cherry wood and a natural pear wood Amigo. The cherry wood smokes well and it makes a nice pipe of aros as I don't need to worry about ghosting a more expensive pipe. While the Amigo smokes ok, it does get very hot and the finish becomes slightly 'tacky'.

maynard

Lurker
Sep 22, 2012
I have 3 no 62 Hammer Dwarfs and 1 NO 48 Chochla. all good smokers. I like them very much.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
My Mr.Brog Old Boy. Cost very little for a brand new pipe and I naively expected alot. Firstly the product image on the ebay store I bought it from was very handsome, the pipe I got was not the same. They are all different, I know, but the 'rustication' was just amateur!

Smoked alright though, but soon the finish on the black section began to flake off and bubbles appeared.

I contacted Mr.Brog for a replacment. After a longer wait than I wanted, I got my new pipe. Not smoked it a great deal but smoked alright, the stem is a little ovely bent at the tip and I can't get a cleane down it properly. Fine other than that though, but I would not buy a textured finish model from them again, far too basic and rushed look. Smooth all the way if I buy again.
This is the replacement. I've only smoked heavy latakia in it so far, so for the sake of it it'll stay as a designated latakia vessel. :)

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I had one of their pear wood pipes a green 'amigo' lovely smoke only trouble was the mouthpiece must be made out of the cheapest plastic in Poland,lasted little over a month fom new! To get a replacement stem costs nearly as much as the pipe, so I threw it away.

canuckken

Lurker
Sep 18, 2015
Airdrie
samon the rustication on that pipe looks hideous. I can understand your complaint. The rustication on the pipe I bought is not to bad. These are 2 Mr. Brog pipes. The top being a morta and the bottom is a briar.
oYSCTlF.jpg

simong it is too bad about that stem. I am hoping mine will last longer.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
canuckken, post an update when you've smoked that morta pipe. I've been looking at their bog oak pipes for a while and am super curious if they're worth the money.

canuckken

Lurker
Sep 18, 2015
Airdrie
foolwiththefez I have smoked a couple half bowls and it smokes well enough. The only thing I don't like and it is just personal preference is the size and weight. It is a bit small for my liking and it weighs very little. I prefer a larger and heavier pipe. I see that there is another more expensive morta model Mr. Brog which is larger. I might buy that one just to compare the two. If you like a smaller lightweight pipe you will probably like the one I purchased.

canuckken

Lurker
Sep 18, 2015
Airdrie
I just smoked a full bowel so I could give a better report. With this pipe I have no problems with keeping it lit but it does get quite warm, perhaps my puffing is more frequent than some smokers which can also explain why I do not have many relights. Even though it gets a bit hot it does cool quite quickly.

I have read that some types of tobacco smokes better in it. Apparently it is not a good aromatics smoker and likes English blends best, I am not sure I understand the logic behind that. I had equal amounts of Black Cavendish, Sutliff Vanilla Royale and Captain Black White that I mixed together and I found that concoction smoked fine in this small morta.

I will probably not smoke this pipe again but it is kind of cool owning something made from wood that is thousands of years old.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Two of my first pipes were Mr. Brog. An "Old boy" and a "boxer". The stem on the old boy got broken after 2 smokes, but after some waiting I got a replacement stem (which to my surprise wasn’t the same as the original one). Both were pear made and smoked nice. They had a tendency to dark quickly and burn more hot then briar. All that said today I wouldn’t buy another one of Mr. Brog, not because they are so bad, but because I guess I out grow them and I aim for better ones

I thought of them as very good for a beginner and later it's time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.