PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey there
Every time I notice that Mr Brog advert on the side of the screen I say in my head: "You're going to like the way you smoke. I guarantee it." haha
Anyway, I am fairly new to pipesmanship and frankly most of my money has gone to tobacco-leaving me with a single lonely briar and a few MM cobs. I figured this a good place to ask what, if any are some good cheap pipes to start with. I was wondering if $30-$40 pipes are a waste of time? Should I just save a few more bucks and hold out for the $80-$120 range pipes? Peterson, Savinelli, and BC are some of my favourites aesthetically in that range. Any suggestions and or advice is appreciated. Sucks being new to hobby that has so few local enthusiasts.
Also, I have seen 'lots' of used pipes on ebay for reasonable prices. Is it a good idea maybe to grab one of those and try my hand at refurbishing?
Thanks,

Justin

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
I too spend the majority of my smoking funds on the tobaccos. I have fair number of briars but 90% of the time I use one of my cobs. Personally, my inexpensive cobs work as well as my expensive briars.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Purchase what ever you can afford, while still paying the bills. :D I find that it's not so much the pipe that smokes well, but the person that smokes well.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
If you're deadset about adding another briar to your lonely one and your cobs, I'd save a little and grab a Savinelli or Stanwell. But I'm not a fan of Mr. Briggs pipes.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Look into Rossi pipes at smoking pipes dot com. They are Savinelli I pipes, just a lower grade and a steal at the lower priced ones. Or get a Savinelli. I, too, am not a fan of Mr. Brog pipes.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
You can't beat MM corn cobs value.

I'd buy a few more cobs in various sizes & save money for the purchase of tobacco. At this time the long term availability of pipe tobacco in the US is uncertain. (I am not optimistic).

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
were I to start again, I would center on used from somewhere like SP.com

I've gotten some real crap on eBay, over bored - whatever you can imagine.

I've liked every Stanwell, Rattray and Savinelli I've ever had. Though I have gotten a Rattray new that was so overcoated inside it irritated me - sanded out and cleaned it up and it's a great smoker after I thought I would have to toss it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some really like their Mr. Brog's. I don't like the jumpy website, and not everyone thinks well of the pipes. You can get some good briar pipes for very reasonable prices in, for example, the Rossi brand made by Savenelli. A recent post showed the de Paja line of pipes with a series in the $45 range that had proved a good smoker. Nording has some worthy pipes in the $68 area, and Dr. Grabow makes the Royalton series, with good acrylic bits, that you can smoke with or without filters, for less than $40 some places. So you can wait and save, or shop hard and find a good pipe at a low price. The argument for saving is that pipes tend to last a long time, properly maintained, so you may be happier with fewer high end pipes rather than more economical ones, but select low-price pipes are fine smokers, just not as elegant. Nothing wrong with any of those Dr. Grabow Royaltons, if you enjoy the old time style of those pipes.

Jan 8, 2013
You can find decent pipes for a low cost. I have a Bjarne Viking that cost me about 60 dollars brand new. It was one of my first briars, and it's a good smoker. You can find a great assortment of them at Pipesandcigars.com ranging from 50 to 150 dollars. Keep an eye on all the site sponsors, sign up for their email alerts. Pipesandcigars, and Smokingpipes especially. They regularly have great sales and an assortment of low dollar pipes. If you find a pipe, but have questions about the quality, feel free to ask about it here. Someone will be able to steer you in the right direction. That's what we're here for :)

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Great feedback, everyone Thanks!
And yep, I have a handful of MM cobs and two more on the way with a trove of tobacco from smokingpipes.
Also, I went to my local tobacconist just now to refill my Dunbar and Skiff Mix jars and... I got sucked in, boys. haha I saw a handsome pipe in the case and had to ask what it was- It was a La Rocca and was very reasonable at $65. About to take her for the maiden smoke now!
And anthonyrosenthal, I love my Bjarn Viking. It's actually the pipe i'm smoking in my profile pic!
Cheers!

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Also, great to hear the good things about Savinelli and Rossi. They have some great looking pipes and I will certainly consider one for my next pipe. I want an Ardor pretty badly. Or something likewise big and handmade. I think I may forgo the tradition self-gifting of a guitar on my birthday this year for a good pipe or two. Assuming my bills are paid, as per didimauw's advice. haha

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you, sir. I found it challenging to smoke as the bowl is much larger than I am accustomed, so it was a new experience packing. I packed it with the 'frank' method and it was just too dense. I'll have to try again with the 'three-step' method.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I have a few nice briars in the $80-120 range, and they don't necessarily smoke any better than my pipes that are in the $20-40 range.
%75 percent of my smoking is done with cobs. Another %20 is done in my trusty Dr. Grabow that was $33 at walgreens. The other 20 pipes in my collection, including meers and various briars, occupy the other %5 of my total smoking.
If I had it all to do over again ... I probably would own nothing but cobs and Grabows. They smoke great, and are cheap enough to not have to worry about breaking/losing/ruining them.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Ebay is a good place to get quality mid range estate pipes and there are some reputable sellers that clean them befor selling, Pipestud is a member hear and a Ebay seller and would be a great place to start. Befor I learned howw to restore Pipes I would send my estate pipes to Stem and Briar for their rejuvenation service, it is worth considering, take a look
http://www.stemandbriar.com/resotration

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Ardor pipes are on the pricey side. I would look at either a mid-range Savinelli (I have 5) or a Rinaldo ( 2). I also have some less expensive Italian pipes - de Paja, Armellini, Bernaldi - and they are great smokers.
Also, for the price of an Ardor you can find some real good artisan pipes.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I have the Mr Brog Billiard. It smokes nice but as mentioned above the cobs are way more comfortable in everything, except maybe cleaning. Best clenchers ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.