PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks, Pagan. I was actually just on Pipestud's page yesterday. haha I originally found his reviews helpful on tobaccoreviews and found my way to his site from there.
Tinsel, I totally agree. My first pipe was a Grabow and I love my cobs. I do want a few Ardors or like pipes purely for their looks. They are undeniably art and will look great on my tobacco shelf. Speaking of Grabows, I was looking through them recently and found pictures of the 'Color Duke' series and my PAD kicked into overdrive. I will be in search of a couple of those. Such cool and retro looking pipes.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I like the Brog pear woods. I'm a big fan of Orientals and Virginias in pear wood, but I think I'm in the minority. I don't have any Brogs at the moment, having dropped and cracked my last one, but I do have two nice Ukrainian Etsy pear woods that I enjoy regularly.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I like the Brog pear woods. I'm a big fan of Orientals and Virginias in pear wood, but I think I'm in the minority. I don't have any Brogs at the moment, having dropped and cracked my last one, but I do have two nice Ukrainian Etsy pear woods that I enjoy regularly.
Perique, does this mean all Brogs are pear wood?

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
If I did it all over again I would buy unfinished Savinelli's instead of the cheaper mr brogs. The cheaper Mr brogs have cheap plastic stems which break easily.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
For $20-$30+ Mr. Brogs are great pipes. I have two. I like them.
My favorite cheap pipes are the "Capri" brand.
The West Virginia pipe shop has several... all around $30. Great Briars. They are usually considered basket pipes.
I have never really had much love or luck for Stanwells or Savs. Just my personal preference.
In that price range, I'd rather have a new Neerup, Joh's or Hilson. Again, my personal preference. Some Savs have caught my eye, but they are usually the $200+ ones.
Edited to say... agreed, the Mr. Brog Stems are not the best. As a clencher, I need rubber bits. The only Mr. Brogs I have bought are the least expensive ones. If I were to get in the $30 range, I'd get a Capri.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Bjarne Vikings deserve their own thread. They're mostly good smokers out of the box and decently attractive for the money. I got a number of them for walking/working pipes several years ago. One started off pretty rough, but after a long tour of duty as a beater it finally broke into a keeper. A few of them are just downright terrific! :puffy:
I only have two La Roccas (both Speciales), both good-looking outperformers from the get go.
If you're looking for relatively inexpensive pipes that are consistently good smokers, Dr. Grabow is the way to go. Besides ... sometimes it's fun to pick out a new briar at your neighborhood Walgreens (remember to ditch the filter). :mrgreen:

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
[/quote]Bjarne Vikings deserve their own thread.
Start one Ophiuchus! I'm with ya. I have a Skagen. My first briar. The light colour wood just jumped out at me and when I saw the price, I couldn't believe it was still on the shelf. haha Great first pipe and it certainly will not be the last Viking I own.

Status
Not open for further replies.