PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I was a Lat fiend! This past Summer I started trying Virginias (Stonehaven got me hooked!). Now, I can't even stand the smell of Latakia. I have quite a bit put away, so I'm hoping it's just temporary. Right now, its all about Virginias and Burleys.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Maybe, we should think of it as "branching out" instead of moving away from or towards."
I'll go along with that Michael 100%. As we all start off with X blend we invariably branch out into different genres and therefore flavours as we muddle our way through what is available to us and what gives us greatest pleasure.
There is absolutely nothing wrong in any of that...we all have to learn to crawl afore we can walk.
That (to me at least) has been part of the adventure that has gotten me to the stage that I currently am with my tobacco preferences.
I regard myself as lucky inasmuch I didn't start out with aromatic blends but of those that do, it's notable that many former aromatic smokers do actually move on to straight tobacco blends simply for the natural flavours they off if made right.
I have no doubts that my own personal journey has a few more miles left in it and that quite excites me :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Same story for me, except I tend towards bright or red virginias instead of darker ones.
Started out with a couple OTC's, moved toward lats, and then lost interest in lats and sunk into a nice comfortable rut of a few virginias I really like.
In fact, soon I'm going to do a thorough inventory of all the lat blends I have and post up a trade thread to see if I can swap some of it for some virginias that people aren't smoking :D

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
Its a quite similar story for me, after smoking for two years English/Orientals exclusively I just started to explore Va and VaPer. I think I even didn't touch Burley's yet. It's not easy to catch on subtlety of Va based tobaccos, I guess it will take time to develop your palate.

Not moving into entirely different direction, but did you find in the ocean of Va / VaPers, less peppery blends?

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I didn't get into Virginia Flakes or VaPers until I'd been smoking a pipe for five or six years. I'd already been through a Kentucky/Virginia phase, an American Aromatic phase and had tried a few Latakia forwards before I'd ever smoked a good slice of roll. Now, like the changing seasons of the Midwest, what blends I gravitate to shift with the climate. Late spring and through summer I'm into the thin, clean, sweet Virginia-led smoke. I like Virginia/Cavendish roll cakes this time of year as well. The cherries and plummy vanillas will get broken out when things cool off in the fall, along with the Kentucky.
I did smoke more Escudo through this past winter than in winters previous ... I blamed the mild weather. :puffy:

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
Branch out for sure. Hell, I'd smoke a rope if I could keep it lit !
One day the rope factory, she catch fire n' he runs back on in to save his lunch - he's got two sardine sandwiches - runnin' back on in to save his lunch. He gets inside n' there's all this funny smoke floatin' around up inside n'...he gets some of this funny smoke up inside his head n'...he sit down in the middle o' de' fire n' he say,
"Shhhhhhhhhhh*t, baby, I ain't gonna make rope no more!!!"
http://www.madmusic.com/song_details.aspx?SongID=6100

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I've been trying Black Rope XX. It sure is a pain to keep lit.
Try cutting 2-3 coins and stuffing them between some ribbon cut above and below. Let it dry well.
Me, virginias, I love 'em. I have never met a bright golden yellow, red, dark, or stoved kind I didn't absolutely like. Orientals are their kinky cousin. I love Perique in varying quantities depending on the mix. I like Kentucky and Burley, but I like Latakia as well. So long as the flavor is there and especially if it's got some kick.
There is no reason to like one at the expense of the other, every kind offers its unique taste. I've found that by constantly switching off in varying rotations, I enjoy all of them and never find me getting too tired of any.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
It seems like Va and VaPer come later. For me they came as flake, which was a major revelation and expansion, both Va and flake and coins. I have never smoked an Aro, because I am a tobacco snob and i wouldn't be caught dead with a pouch of aro next to my designer cob. English always did it for me, I saw no need to change until I tried Va years later and discovered flakes. Except for DNR, VaPers still allude me a bit, as do Burleys. I think it simply takes time to acclimate to and appreciate these varieties. English, and Aros if you must, are easier "to get", chocolate, coffee, leather, horse stuff, etc. I evolved to pilsners and wheats, but I still loves me some Arrogant Bastard ale. I would be a happy man with only a ton each of FVF and Presbyterian.

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
Got inspired by discussion, and opened a tin of "Red a Black", smoked it tonight. Definitely its a different, new experience, compare with my regular English/Orientals. I choose to mixed both flakes, next time will try to smoke them separately.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Getting into light' VaPers susch as Solani, Marlin and Dunhill dark flake, yes do find them being interesing and nuance rich and aren't just like that tobacoes' neverheless lately I'm coming to conclusion that burely forwards might be more go to tobaccoes'they se somewhateasier to hadle for indermediary/new pipe-smoker,perhaps my long time cigarette habit way have some affect on developing this preference,too.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I've always considered VaPers to be lighter, easier blends on the way to the harder stuff like English blends. Not the other way around.

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
I left aros decades ago (but I do NOT look down on anyone who enjoys them). A few flavorful English and Balkans are the center of my daily rotation, and I can't see them leaving anytime soon, but VaPers, being later additions, are just as firmly established. Escudo Navy Deluxe is ambrosia right now, but it stands out better in a varied stable. I occasionally smoke one burley/Va blend (Bailey's Front Porch), and have yet to try any pure Virginias. I am fairly sure that I'll find at least one that I like. There are always new blends and types to try, and I am delighted far more often than disappointed.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I LOVE how we're all walking on eggshells when discussing a certain genre of tobacco which I shall not name. PC run wild.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I am an equal opportunity smoker. I love all genres and get a kick out of it when someone proclaims that they will never like a certain type. Especially aros. 6000 blends and 5500 of them aros and people actually claim they will not ever like any of them.
Or Lat blends. I don't care if the only Latakia available someday is made in Poughkeepsie, NY! So long as we can still get it! Smokie-Dokie.
But VaPers! I ain't moving towards them, I found them long ago and sleep with my pillow stuffed full of the damned stuff. Ain't nothing quite like a good dark aged VaPer with yummy virginias and lots and lots of Perique spun into pretty coins!

Status
Not open for further replies.