PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Last night I watched a movie on Amazon Prime titled "Clear History" (2013). It's a comedy starring Larry David, Jon Hamm, Kate Hudson, Bill Hader and Michael Keaton. Michael Keaton's character, Joe Stumpo, is a pipe smoker.
It caught my attention immediately.
Can you think of any other movies with pipe smoking characters?
michaelkeatonclearhistorypipe.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Most of the Sherlock Holmes movies / TV have pipes in them.
There are a few scenes in Star Trek Next Generation, where Data has a pipe as Sherlock Holmes.

Reactions: RobNYC and JOHN72
Many movies, series, and shows feature pipesmokers. I guess it's good to bring it up again, but we have documented probably close to a thousand things filmed with pipesmoker characters over the years. I'll bring up that Hatfield and McCoy series with Kevin Costner, because so many pipes are named for his character now. But, it would be interesting to have someone list all of them that have been mentioned before, so we could actually get a count and have them as a reference.
I'll just add that whoever plays me in my biography will have to get comfortable with a pipe. Maybe they can get Matthew McConaughey to play me, but it would be better directed by David Lynch, Tim Burton, or the Cohen brothers.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
I would have to say I always liked Hans Landa's Calabash from Inglorious Basterds.

-------------------
On the other hand the resistant who smokes a corn cob pipe in front of him sneers the French pipe smokers, it is a mistake of the props, these pipes were unknown and arrived 50 years after here ... :wink:

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
I watched Dead Poets Society the other evening. A couple of the professors were pipe smokers as well as several of the kids.

Reactions: Pazzerpipe

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
I am sure Lord of the Rings contributed to a spike of Churchwarden sales.

Yes, on French forums of "young" beginners fan of the series

admits to starting the pipe after the movies. :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Landa is "smoking" a pristine calabash.
The Duke of Windsor was a douche, but he was also a Prince. I think he preferred fags, and by that I mean cigs. No idea what his other preferences were, aside from being in love with a witch.