PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Thanks...that is one I will definitely watch.

Any seemingly original film that resembles actual cinema is worth a try in the wasteland of endless superhero/comic book movies, remakes and sequels that Hollywood has mostly become.

Glad to see it was filmed in B&W also...looks very appropriate for such a film.
Agreed.
I want acting, not animations and smurf-zombie-vampire-superhero-monsters.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and brian64

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
PBS's running of the play "Red," about the painter Mark Rothko, is super. I saw the play on Broadway in 2010, and seeing it again was worth every minute. Just two characters, Rothko and his young assistant with whom he is overbearing with philosophy, opinion, and bluster. However, the kid finally argues against a commission Rothko is doing for paintings for an ultra-expensive NY restaurant. Rothko finally takes his advice, and then fires him, to get him out of the confines of his studio and on with his own young life as a painter. Superbly written, acted, set-designed, and directed. It won a rack of Tony's -- the power of simplicity. Rothko's description of visiting the restaurant to see where his paintings will "live" is amazing, not pretty. You'll never dine out with the better-off again in just the same way. The title has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with the actual painter's color choices.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I saw it earlier this week. It's good but you need to have a serious taste for the surreal. Imagine David Lynch did a period piece.
You also need to have a good grasp of Greek mythology, since there's a constant interweaving of mythological elements and symbology into the events at the lighthouse that add to the significance of those events. I enjoyed the film for the truly black comedy that it is intended to be.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and brian64

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
You also need to have a good grasp of Greek mythology, since there's a constant interweaving of mythological elements and symbology into the events at the lighthouse that add to the significance of those events. I enjoyed the film for the truly black comedy that it is intended to be.

I agree in part, but don't believe it's meant wholeheartedly to be a farce or black comedy. If so, it's Aristophanes on a complete acid bender. I'm curious, what did you make of the scene with Winslow staring into blinding light, as well as the end of the film?

Reactions: sablebrush52

f5rd2hy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2017
NV
imdb: 13 December 2019 (USA) - Cint Eastwood? Ticket sold.

imdb: 6 December 2019 (USA)

imdb: 1 November 2019 (USA)

Reactions: brian64

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Which Star Trek timeline is the Tarantino offering?
The new movie timeline started great and is slacking off, but still good.
The CBS All Access... meh. I mean it's "good" and all, but...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've given up on movies. If not remakes or reboots, there's so much pandering to sensitive groups that the story presented is no longer enjoyable.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Which Star Trek timeline is the Tarantino offering?
The new movie timeline started great and is slacking off, but still good.
The CBS All Access... meh. I mean it's "good" and all, but...

I don't know any details...I haven't even followed the recent movies or the CBS thing you're referring to. In fact, I never even watched "next generation". The only ST I watched was the original series and the original movies with the original cast.

Tarantino making one interests me though...just for the spectacle of it I guess.

Although little is known about the project at this point, someone has provided this highly informative perspective on it:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I agree in part, but don't believe it's meant wholeheartedly to be a farce or black comedy. If so, it's Aristophanes on a complete acid bender. I'm curious, what did you make of the scene with Winslow staring into blinding light, as well as the end of the film?
Winslow is Prometheus, the trickster Titan who created mankind and who stole fire from the Gods to give to his creations. In Greek mythology, Prometheus was punished for his transgression by being chained to a rock where he would suffer eternally by having his liver devoured by an eagle, only to have it grow back overnight and thus would have to go through the same agonizing procedure again and again throughout eternity. Eagles being scarce, Winslow is subjected to having his liver eaten by a seagull who also takes a crap on him while having lunch. Insult added to injury.
The director very much intended it as black comedy.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
PBS's running of the play "Red," about the painter Mark Rothko, is super. I saw the play on Broadway in 2010, and seeing it again was worth every minute. Just two characters, Rothko and his young assistant with whom he is overbearing with philosophy, opinion, and bluster. However, the kid finally argues against a commission Rothko is doing for paintings for an ultra-expensive NY restaurant. Rothko finally takes his advice, and then fires him, to get him out of the confines of his studio and on with his own young life as a painter. Superbly written, acted, set-designed, and directed. It won a rack of Tony's -- the power of simplicity. Rothko's description of visiting the restaurant to see where his paintings will "live" is amazing, not pretty. You'll never dine out with the better-off again in just the same way. The title has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with the actual painter's color choices.
Rothko is one of my favorite painters.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Winslow is Prometheus, the trickster Titan who created mankind and who stole fire from the Gods to give to his creations. In Greek mythology, Prometheus was punished for his transgression by being chained to a rock where he would suffer eternally by having his liver devoured by an eagle, only to have it grow back overnight and thus would have to go through the same agonizing procedure again and again throughout eternity. Eagles being scarce, Winslow is subjected to having his liver eaten by a seagull who also takes a crap on him while having lunch. Insult added to injury.
The director very much intended it as black comedy.
There we go, I like what I'm hearing. Now about the mermaid...?

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I don't know any details...I haven't even followed the recent movies or the CBS thing you're referring to. In fact, I never even watched "next generation".
The CBS All Access thing is more "pop" and commercial. It's like a netflix series, so think soap opera. Still, it's tolerable I suppose till you discover :) that the modified timeline was created, at least partially, so that rights to merchandise, etc., could be solely owned.

The Next Generation was worthy. Many episodes were formulaic and tepid, but many episodes were quite good. It was up and down, not as consistent as TOS. The rest of the series' after that were a general decline, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.