Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The new version of Dune looks interesting. As a fan of the books I would like to check that out.
That is definitely of interest. I'm a fan of most of David Lynch's films, but I didn't care for his Dune. Hopefully this one will be better.
A new "Ghostbusters" sequel with Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Sigourney Weaver to hit theaters July 2020.
I was pleased to read this:
The film will have no connection to the 2016 film directed by Paul Feig that starred Wiig, McCarthy, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones.
https://www.thewrap.com/ghostbusters-2020-sigourney-weaver-dana-barrett/
I didn't see the 2016 film, but based on everything I read and heard about it I have no desire to.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The Professor looks like it could be a good one.
If you're referring to the Johnny Depp movie, I've only seen the preview...but based on that, I don't think it's how I'd spend the last 6 months of my life lol.
But if you're referring to this one, it definitely looks good:
The Professor and the Madman
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5932728/?ref_=nv_sr_2?ref_=nv_sr_2
"Yesterday" looks fun
I've seen that preview, and to be honest was kind of turned off by it. But if you end up watching it let us know how it was.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Our local theater offers a free ticket on your birthday. Out of the 15 years since we moved up here, I've only used that on four occasions. The other eleven years, they didn't have a single movie playing on my birthday that I'd care to see even for free.
Had a shipmate once who owned a 1967 Cougar, and had shoehorned a 429 Shelby under the hood. The guy had a tendency to goose his gas pedal a bit too much, and twice in one winter managed to blow out his heater core.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Went and saw Rocketman with my wife. I think No idea how that movie gets 91% on Rotten Tomatoes. I like musicals and Elton John. This one...not so much.
Should have gone to Yesterday.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Went and saw Rocketman with my wife. I think No idea how that movie gets 91% on Rotten Tomatoes. I like musicals and Elton John. This one...not so much.
Haven't seen it yet, but it's unfortunate to hear that...I was hoping it might have been done correctly.
Care to elaborate on what you didn't like about it?

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I’m eagerly awaiting Ford VS Ferrari, story of Carol Shelby and Ford wanting Dominice at LeMans. It’s on in Nov this yr,
This is one I’m super excited for. However the casting of Damon as Shelby is a stretch. I’ve met and spoken to Shelby in the past and I don’t think anyone can capture his persona. But I’ll try and enjoy the film just the same.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
@brian64
I was hoping for something a little more historically accurate. I knew that it wasn't going to be a documentary, but the entire story was complete fantasy and made little attempt to accurately portray what he went through. It reminded me of a Broadway play more than film.
FYI there are some very uncomfortable scenes, it was very entertaining in other areas. The director did a very good job not being too preachy. They threw in a whole bunch of Mommy and Daddy issues that were unnecessary imho. The lead actors were great. Just not as good as La La Land or the Queen Movie.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Dune. I liked the Lynch and Harrison Miniseries. I wouldn’t expect the new one to win any awards. Dune isn’t very approachable. I think Dune forces one to look in the mirror.

I can’t wait to see how bad the Star Wars universe can get in Episode 9.?

Reactions: brian64 and Bowie

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
1917, a WWI movie, looks like it could be good. It's directed by Sam Mendes, who also did Skyfall and Spectre. It comes out on Christmas Day.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I too want to see Ford vs Ferrari, and so does my wife, who is a Shelby Mustang fan; she even uses his chili mix. I have to see Midway, since I was there decades after the battle for about 8 months. To me, that is the greatest naval battle modern or ancient. Brilliant planning, brilliant combat timing and judgement. Nimitz was a genius. Also, The Good Liar. Harriet Tubman is superb; in addition to historical weight, it is one of the best action films I've ever seen, not a slow scene in the two and a half hours, incredible editing and pacing; go energized to keep up.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The Lighthouse seems interesting

Thanks...that is one I will definitely watch.

Any seemingly original film that resembles actual cinema is worth a try in the wasteland of endless superhero/comic book movies, remakes and sequels that Hollywood has mostly become.

Glad to see it was filmed in B&W also...looks very appropriate for such a film.

Reactions: autumnfog
Status
Not open for further replies.