PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I received the extremely generous gift of a bag of Motzek Strag, a blend made in relatively small amounts in Germany. I've seen it mentioned here and there on occasion, but never really gave it too much thought until recently. While there are still a vast number of tobaccos I've never tried, this marks the end of my list of "OMFG YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS" tobaccos. Until now, I was not aware it was a VaPer. Upon breaking into this bag I was overwhelmed by the "tin" note. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it's quite possibly the best scent I've ever smelled, tobacco or otherwise. It's amazing and worth the price of admission in and of itself. The leaf is quite tamp. It's a rolled tobacco, broken up just slightly with two rolls intact. I've never tried tobacco in this form. I removed some of the leaf to allow it to dry for an hour. It's quite damp. Without some drying there's no way it stays lit. I like McClellands VaPer, but the strong ketchup taste/smell can certainly get in the way. Strang reminds me of McClellands, only better, without any ketchup whatsoever. It's seriously sweet and tangy and has a perfect perique kick. I've never smoked such a potent, full flavored VaPer. If you love the tin note, you'll love the taste. It's really difficult to explain the taste. It's entirely unique. I just can't put my finger on it. It is the absolute benchmark for judging VaPers. I honestly can not fathom a better tobacco. If anyone knows of any, please let me know. It belongs high up on any worthwhile top-5 list. I'm quite curious to see how it ages. It's a tragedy that any one of us could die at any moment. If you're a pipe smoker and you die before trying some, it's a greater tragedy. I'm going to order a seriously large quantity. Holy crap is this good stuff!!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm sitting on 250 grams of Strang and it is a great smoke. I usually cut it into thin coins nd let it dry for several hours. Then I rub it out and load. It's a real treat if handled correctly. Relax and enjoy it.

Dec 24, 2012
Nate, glad you are enjoying it. In a way, I fear that I have created a monster. Please refrain from stocking up until I have all that I need. Merci. lol.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Yes Dean, because the 15 pounds you have isn't enough :nana:
I hope all is well with you my friend.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
That first one is his take on a volcano, but you know, I'm not sure what the other shape would be called, but not a volcano. Anyone have any idea?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Good stuff ... quite a bit of Burley in there, as well, which is more apparent when dried.
15%2B-%2B1

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Yeah Sable, it's seriously wet. An overnight dry makes a huge difference. Wet it simply won't light. Once dry I can't imagine it isn't something you'd crave. It just has a taste that I'm too uneducated to put my finger on, but there's something entirely unique in the flavor profile. It's INSANLY addictive.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
That did occur to me, but I just couldn't detect the crack flavor in the smoke, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Them Germans have done things like this in the past so you just never know. We'll have to see what the drug test says.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sounds pretty darn good Nate. I've heard this blend mentioned but haven't tried it. Might be time to track some down. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.