PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Peck, my initial reaction was to chuckle, but I've seen photos of your warchest. 20k it is!
What Peck isn't telling you, is that he already owns all the Strang in the world. The Motzeks actually buy it from him.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Peck...you did reinforce those sagging shelves didn't you??? Another 20K might push them a bit too far. :puffy:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
When I bought mine it wasn't available on the site either, yet it came. Last I spoke with him he said his next batch needed to age and wouldn't be ready till end of Feb-March. This is the full extent of my knowledge.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Also, I'm sure you've read the same reviews that I have which claim the cut is different from the rope. I have smoked it and examined it closely and I can say with 100% certainty that they are the exact same thing... I'll post a couple photos showing this....

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Here is a piece of the rope, uncut, sitting in the sliced version from a separate bag. They taste exactly the same and look exactly the same, only sliced.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Since I was the one who wrote that the pre-cut is slightly different than the rope version, I'll stand by what I wrote. I noticed the pre-cut is slightly less stronger and slightly sweeter. If you think other wise, well, that's what your taste buds say. But, while they are the same tobacco, which I did state that they are, there is a slight taste change.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It's not only you Jim. I've read this a few places, but I just can't find a difference myself. I've tried both blind and picked the tobacco apart and I just can't find a single variation. Obviously we all have different tastes.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Well if it's a small batch tobacco, there could be slight variations with each batch also, which is the same with any small batch produced product.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I noticed the pre-cut is slightly less stronger and slightly sweeter.
Same as with Flake vs Plug ... exposure time to oxygen prior to being smoked will change the topping strength and flavors.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
That's true also, but people have also commented on massive changes from one bag of stonehaven to the next which is another small batch tobacco. Like there's a total of 7 reviews of the rope version and one review of the cut version on tobacco reviews, so I don't think it's enough to warrant a total definitive answer on the subject.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Any progress on this?
Herbert Motzek has confirmed that he's retiring and he's looking to sell the shop.
Motzek Strang is not in stock at this time.
If you're interested, contact the shop yourself and see if they will offer more in the near future. You can always make your own purchase, assuming there is something to purchase.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
The last I has heard from Nate was the would be a batch ready in February. Seems Motzek's wife makes it and it ages 3 months before he sells it. Now that Nate is gone have no idea........

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I want nothing to do with petulant Nate after seeing how he hosed another member. Now that I have tried it, I am not that impressed. You all can have all the Strang. Not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.