PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I would really like to continue smoking my pipe on the road to work, but if there's no ice and it's above 10 degrees or so, I ride my Venture touring bike. Anyone smoke while riding their motorcycle? if so, any tips?

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Smoking anything while riding seems pointless to me. Admittedly I've never tried it with cigarettes or cigars, and certainly not with a pipe, but I can't imagine how that could be enjoyable by any stretch. Besides, I already have more than enough to do while riding in order to keep safe.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Pipe with a wind cap. Get a light weight clincher with a wind cap, and ya good to go.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I like to keep a preloaded Pete 317 in my vest pocket. I'm not a clencher so I don't try to smoke & ride. When I stop for some reason I can whip out the preloaded pipe and get a quick smoke in. If I'm riding with friends and we make a stop they light their nails and I light my pipe. Happy puffin',
Dave 8)

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Too much to think about when riding in my mind. I wouldn't want the distraction.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Yeah. I had visions of the whirlwind-like back flow of the windscreen sucking embers up out of my pipe and into my neck and beard. Thought maybe someone had tried it with one of those little vented garbage can lids over the top.
No way I could think of to even try doing it.
Smoke or embers in the eye... deadly.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Tried it anyway. Put it in a no-name wood I got for 6 bucks, so if it fell or I flung it on purpose, no loss.
But there was no real problem on a touring bike. First lit it and set out just tooling around. No worse than chewing gum. Smoke not an issue, as it cleared right away. Embers and ash, no issue.
Then turned to a low traffic blacktop just outside of town. No issues. Then up to the interstate.
No problem with flying embers or anything as I imagined. But on the interstate, once it got burning too hot, there was no way to cool it down. The air behind the windscreen, though attracted toward the windscreen, is moving. The pipe is never in still air. Always drafting pretty good.
Though nothing dangerous developed at all, tobacco was too hot to taste good. Not enjoyable.
Risky? We all draw our own lines. But I also ride without a helmet where the law permits, and I ride 5 mph over the speed limit fairly routinely, which it doesn't permit. I am such a madman daredevil. I'm sure several 1-percenters are trembling in their cuts right now, afraid I might join their club and raise the bar of bad-assed-ness higher than they're comfortable with.
LOL

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I once knew a fellow who did this, he modified his full-face helmet with a little sort of stem shaped hole in the front so he could puff away. I presume he used a bowl screen as well else it'd burn out horribly. I've smoked cigarettes before, they only last about 300 yards.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Drinking coffee while riding is harder and more dangerous. (But I do that, too). And donuts, I don't even try that anymore. I don't think I've ever gotten to finish one I tried to eat while riding.
Some stuff just gnaws at me till I have to try it.
I know. A lot of rednecks die that way every year. But some live. And those of us that live are how we get our empirical evidence. (Well, dying gives evidence, too. Unhappy evidence).
In the end, my experiment proved the deal breaker for me is, your tobacco will burn hot, it will taste like crap, and you might burn your pipe out. If you smoke for enjoyment, you don't smoke when you don't enjoy it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I had a master at school years ago who smoked while riding his Triumph. I think he was always dropping pipes. I tried it once and it just didn't work for me, especially with a big old 1930s bike that sprayed oil everywhere from the rocker box - the joys of the JAP engine from hell.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I find managing the pipe while driving my car to be awkward enough ... I can't imagine attempting to smoke one while riding a motorcycle ...

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
<p>I love the Venture! Has a Full dress Road Star myself and used to casually smoke cigars while tooling along. The windscreen I had formed a perfect neutral airspace that allowed me to pull it off. I have seen some Gold Wing guys on the road while smoking a pipe so it's obviously being done. I'd try with a cob first.

petersonson

Might Stick Around
Mar 28, 2013
Cleveland, TN
Had a funny thought just now. One could, if one were so inclined, do a little modification to one's motorcycle (I ride a itty bitty v star 250 :D) and attach a Vauen Lounge Pipe (or some such pipe)
http://www.vauen.de/de/neuheiten-/lounge-pipe/lounge-pipe-lo-2_lo-2.aspx?cid=68&page=0&ref=9
to the gas tank..... I could maybe, possibly work....

rover

Lurker
Feb 18, 2010
I knew a Goldwinger back in 1993 who smoked a pipe while riding in Atlanta traffic to work everyday. I worked with him. He mentioned it one day, a this was before I started smoking a pipe, even not knowing how much is involved in smoking a pipe, but I asked him how he does it. He showed me his secret...its a silver cap that fits tightly over the bowl...with one hole in it about 1/8 or less in diameter. Personally, I've often thought of trying it on my Ultra Classic but I just haven't got there yet. Anyway, I know it can be done because I know someone who did it. Also, I believe he was the president of the local Gold wing Association. He was a good and capable guy. I guess it's all about what you decide you want to do and what you're willing to do to make ithappen.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I passed a guy the other day, who really caught my attention. He was one of those "old timer bikers" with the long, white beard. The guy was on a vintage style Harley, and he had a full bent meerschaum in his mouth. Looked really cool, but assuming the thing was lit, I have no idea how he kept from torching his beard! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.