PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Alright we all have our favorite tobaccos. What are your most underrated blends that you enjoy?

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
One blend that I have accumulated/smoked/loved is Low Country Cooper. Good thing it flies under the radar, as production seems to be low. Looking forward to seeing some more responses.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
My favorite underrated blend would have to be Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation 1855. A lovely Virginia blend!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. There are underrated blends and then there are blends that aren't that widely distributed although still known and appreciated. I don't know how to sort out which are which. I'd say maybe C&D Stratfordshire is somewhat underrated, although I think it is appreciated by many. I think that Nat Sherman 536 English is distinguished by being a real house blend (not just a renaming and relabeling) of a famous pipe shop in Manhattan, but it's not widely distributed. I think PC Hearth and Home Midtown non-aromatic Chestnut, a match to the discontinued Walnut, may be underrated. It kind of gets lost in the shuffle, but I think it is a fine blend at a good price.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Comoy's of London Cask #7 Single Coin Sliced
I don't really know who buys the Comoy's blends, but I somehow ended up with this tin of Cask #7. It's Virginia forward with Burley in the background and a nice light molasses topping. This is not a WOW blend, but its quality is undeniable, it has a natural tobacco taste and it is definitely underrated.
I would repurchase and even try other blends in the line up.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Black Frigate, Blockade Runner, Mac Baren's Plum Cake, The Solent Mixture, and recently have really been enjoying D&R's London Dock.

noquarter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 18, 2015
C&D Dark Burley.I use it to add a little spice,oomph,absorb PG on some blends and is also great on its own.

Carter Hall + dark burley is quite good.

Jan 8, 2013
In the past week...Black Frigate from C&D. Recommended by Duane. Before joining this forum never heard much about it. Now it's one of my favorite top 10 tins!
I also HIGHLY recommend Rattray's Bagpipers Dream!
What Coyote said.
I also recommend McClelland Balkan Blue (formerly Blue Mountain) You don't hear much about it, but it's a blend that wows me every time.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
think PC Hearth and Home Midtown non-aromatic Chestnut, a match to the discontinued Walnut, may be underrated. It kind of gets lost in the shuffle, but I think it is a fine blend at a good price.
I guess due to its complexity Chestnut doesn't get enough attention. But as you stated it is a fine underrated blend.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
SG Golden glow or medium flake, the name depends upon how you buy the tobacco. BBF and FVF get all the press and this virginia flies under the radar, it's not quite as complex as the other two but it is delightful.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Everyone has their own set of standards and abilities.

I like to read the opinions of others on the blends available and try to glean an understanding before I order.

Some reviews or discussions of a blend or blends have influenced my purchases.

Tastes change for me as I proceed and I try to understand this too.

I have Chestnut, and I bought it right out of the shoot when it came out, BECAUSE is touted Latakia.

One reviewer we know gave it 4*.

I have Rattray's Marlin Flake too.

The same reviewer gave IT 3*.

I find this to be thought provoking, and ya, there's no comparison, but the ratings seem reversed.

Marlin Flake was this year's flake of the year at SmokingPipes. I had already happened upon the blend when I made a transaction with seadogontheland, back in '14.

I offer: Marlin Flake, as my answer.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Newbroom: I rated them that way according to how they stack up against other blends in their respective genres. I don't see Marlin Flake and Chestnut as being in the same subset or genre, so, unlike you, I don't rate them against each other. I also don't rate according to my personal taste. If I did, a great many of my ratings would be different. So there are legitimate reasons why we don't see eye to eye on this, which is, of course, within our right to see these things in a different perspective.
Also, Chestnut got 4 stars for how good a Match it is as well as how good it is on its own.
A small, partial list of under rated blends: Moe's Confetti, Chestnut, Voodoo Queen, Rolando's Own, D&R VIP, Rotary Navy Cut, Savinelli 140, P&W #515, McClelland 2000, HU Makhuwa, HU Old Fredder's, G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake, Dan Tobacco St. Bernard Flake, C&D Yorktown, Villiger Virginia No. 444 (not sold in the USA), Watch City Deep Elem, Watch City Deluxe Crumb Cut, Watch City Old Dominion, among others, but these are what come to mind off the top of my head.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
igloo wrote:
Robert McConnell Folded Flake . Flakalicious good .
You beat me too it igloo. :) As soon as I read the title this blend came to mind. A fantastic blend that you rarely read about.

Status
Not open for further replies.