PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
The seller has a decent reputation. I've looked at some of his stuff and, in many cases, he's perfectly reasonable with his prices. Sadly, insanity hits swiftly and without warning.
In this case, I would buy that pipe in a heartbeat if I had just won the sweepstakes and it came with either a small car, a massive telescope, or a Red Rider BB Gun with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Being an Upshall fan, I've had that one on my watch list for maybe 4 months? Bonds keeps relisting. Empire series pipes are quite rare, but an estate sold on Ebay recently for $800 I believe. Bonds always has some pipes priced in the stratosphere. Someone eventually buys them I guess, or they are sold in their shop I assume.
Heck, make an offer, who knows?
JamesUpshallGradeE001.jpg

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
A few years ago Skip had one at The Briary made by Claudio Cavicchi that was sold for over $9,000...

It was a gorgeous pipe not unlike those pictured above...

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Whether or not this particular Upshall is worth ten grand I wouldn't know. I know I have seen pipes I would pay an absurd amount of money for, if I could afford it. And there it is: if you want it and you have the budget for it, why not? Even at this price, if you manage to lovingly smoke it for the next thirty years of your natural life expectancy that would amount to under a dollar a day. Your automobile and maybe even your house are worse investments, I suspect.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Looking at UpshallUSA.com, Grade E pipes are not his highest grade - there are two higher. Then there are the "Empire" series, which this pipe is not, which are even higher. Prices for pipes in grade E, as well as some of the others, are "upon application".

Now, if this pipe is actually an Empire series "Excelsior" - which is not what the listing says - then it would be Upshall's highest grade of pipe. Out of my budget, in any case. :puffy:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This Dunhill Namiki Goldfish over at Cup O' Joes will give it a run for its money (pun intended). It's been there for a long time now...I wonder if someone will ever actually pay 7 Grand for it:
http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=W&srch=DW&item=dun0namig

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I'd rather buy a Jess (or Emil) Chonowitsch or a Bo Nordh if I had a spare 15,000 to spend.

benrapaport

Lurker
Apr 19, 2011
There are several recent posts referencing "the most expensive pipe," or "my most expensive pipe," and similar entries on this website." Because there is no specificity to this phrase, that is, is the pipe a contemporary briar, a valued heirloom, a recent auction, I'll offer "the most expensive pipe...ever." On July 12, 2017, at Christie's, London, auction, Lot 85 was described as Einstein's briar pipe (one of two known pipes that have been attributed to him, the other in the National Museum of American History, Smithsonian. The House estimate was 5,000-8,000 GBP (between $6,000-$10,000). The bidding ended at a whopping 52,500 GBP, or $67,662! Now that's expensive for a used briar, no matter who used to smoke it. And on this same day, I discovered that luxurylaunches.com announced the availability of a dragon-shaped pipe with a retail price of $85,000. Now you're talking money.
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.