PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
This was interesting- I'm really enjoying working with military mounts. I'm using one of the JAlan tools for the mortise and recess for the ring. The trickiest part is getting an accurate angle on the compound slide on the metal lathe for the tenon...

fkto9v.jpg

2rr85jk.jpg

2cys4tc.jpg

21ez4tg.jpg

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Looks good ! Once I got my compound at the right angle, I haven't touched it since. You can't really go by the marks on the compound, just eyeball it between 1.5 and 2 degrees and keep making test cuts until it's right.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
I want one!
Each one you post is better than the previous one.
Great job.
Cheers,
J

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks guys!...I'm on a morta/horn kick this week- about to start on an 8" Canadian...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Zack, great looking pipe. When are you going to make a test morta so I can smoke it and decide if I like morta. I will buy the pipe if I like it, if I don't too freaking bad, you will just have to eat it. :nana:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
When are you going to make a test morta so I can smoke it and decide if I like morta

You're going to hate it...Banjo has a couple of them from me and loves them....but he is a gentleman of discriminating tastes...
Why is that called a military mount?
My very poor explanation is that it started During WWI. The soldiers in the trenches needed to be able to disassemble their pipe when hot and the tapered mortise and tenon allowed that without worrying about the usual consequences of a friction fit tenon no longer fitting after removal from a pipe. The usual taper is 1.5-2 degrees on both the tenon and mortise.The reinforcing ring helps to keep from splitting the mortise.

Status
Not open for further replies.