PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Thanks for sharing, sadly they are out of stock on the only one that really spoke to me

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
I own a Morgan Bones Cherry Wood shape Arbutus.

-img-44357-w760-h400.jpg

I love it; smokes like a dream and it is very light weight.

I was apprehensive about the strawberry wood. But after owning one I am a fan of them now!

:D

Reactions: luigi

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have an unsmoked Bruce Weaver magnum strawberry billiard. Amazingly light for its massive size. I've heard nothing but good about pipes made from it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Why not smoke it? You've said you'll just throw your pipes in the trash when you meet the great blender in the sky (or your heirs will), so fire her up, already!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Last unsmoked Weaver I will likely ever see since he retired. Keeping it pristine.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
Dani, Yes my pipe is about two years old it was lighter in color when I purchased it.

Some of the Artubus briar varies from a pinkish color to almost cream color when new and unsmoked.

The unstained Morgan Bones pipes also color up nicely in time. :)

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I have an unfinished Sav that has become fairly dark. I like that you can get some of the aesthetic appeal of a darker pipe, but without the use of stains and the like.
I can’t ever envision myself buying a pipe with bunny ears stamped on it. Those unfinished Savinellis are sharp and from

What I’ve seen, a much better choice than than those bones pipes. But to each his own ...

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I like the bunny ears. It's a unique stamp. I will definitely get a Bones at some point.
The Savinelli Unifinished I own is my favorite pipe. Despite being rather large (803 KS, I believe), it is lightweist, and smokes like a dream. Everything seems to taste great when smoked in it. Granted, I only own about 5 briars, all factory, so my experience is limited, but it's hard for me to imagine wanting more out of a factory pipe. And it cost me like $50. Highly recommended.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I received the pipe I ordered last week. Blast isn’t all that deep, but it’s got a nice pattern. I own 4 Bones pipes, and they all great smoking pipes. Good value for the money.
690-F9123-7-E6-F-4-C57-B6-C3-A5-CB6408-CA5-E.jpg

048545-B2-A155-4792-8-ED7-43-EAE81206-F8.jpg

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Chris Morgan Bones Stubby Pot (left) and Arbutus 102 (right).

The Stubby Pot is nothing special, it has a relatively small bowl and smokes just ok. It's being used for stronger blends (and abused as you can see on the rim) . Great outcome for the money (49eur).

Arbutus 102: I'm using it for everything except Latakia or heavy aromatics and it smokes ok. The main thing I love about it is that it's a "sitter" so it's very handy when you're drinking somehing or doing some work while smoking. It does darken a little with time which is nice too. It's surprisingly light and has a generous chamber size - 20mm in diameter and it's pretty deep as well.
In the last third of the bowl I often detect the taste of the wood that I'm not very happy about but it's still doing a great job. Now it's priced about 130eur, about a year ago it costed me 99eur. I don't notice that with my briars. If you're planning to get one, the specific taste of the wood is something you should be ready for. It's not disturbing but it does interfere a bit with tobacco taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.