PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tobacco, because between the FDA and Congress outlawing online tobacco sales, the end is in sight.
Maybe people will still make pipes, even when the only tobaccos to smoke will be Prince Albert and Carter Hall, but there will always be estate pipes. But, once we can't access tobaccos, no one will be starting B&M's.

Yeh yeh yeh, wouldn't it be nice to think that folks will step in and start B&M tobacco shops, but there are probably as many people who have VCRs as have pipes, but no one is starting a Video rental company ANYWHERE. puffy

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I second the sentiment of buying tobacco over pipes for my fellow American pipe smokers.

You can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a pipe of some sort, old or new, used, abused, estate, cheap, artisan, briar, cob, meer, clay, metal, glass, brylon, taxidermied armadillo carcass, whatever - but you’re not gonna need any of them if you don’t have tobacco to smoke.

Been swinging a lot of dead cats around lately? Kinda weird, but hey, a lot of people think pipe smoking is a sort of kitschy weird anachronism these days, so who am I to judge puffy

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Speaking of growing tobacco- did anybody else deep dive into researching this? I have half a mind to build a backyard greenhouse for this purpose.

I’m gonna try it in the spring, being in Tennessee we have a good climate for it

I think Cosmic grows his own. There are some other few members who are growers too.

I consider that a great and wonderful undertaking for anyone who has the ambition to do it. There's much involved to arrive at the final product...I believe Cosmic's gotten pretty deep into it.

Unfortunately I suspect the day will come when it will not be legal...but until then, go for it if you're motivated to do so. The knowledge of the whole process will someday be lost if no one learns and does it themselves.

Reactions: supperthyme

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I found this interesting excerpt from an article discussing tobacco in our nation's history. Times have certainly changed:

"President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, famous for his ever-present cigarette holder, declared that tobacco was an essential wartime crop. Supplying cigarettes to the troops produced a tobacco shortage back home, which led some women to take up pipe smoking. Meanwhile, Army training manuals urged leaders to "smoke and make your troopers smoke," and Gen. Douglas MacArthur demanded a better supply of tobacco in the soldier's daily ration. "

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Tobacco, because between the FDA and Congress outlawing online tobacco sales, the end is in sight.
Maybe people will still make pipes, even when the only tobaccos to smoke will be Prince Albert and Carter Hall, but there will always be estate pipes. But, once we can't access tobaccos, no one will be starting B&M's.

Yeh yeh yeh, wouldn't it be nice to think that folks will step in and start B&M tobacco shops, but there are probably as many people who have VCRs as have pipes, but no one is starting a Video rental company ANYWHERE. puffy
I suspect if/when the day comes around here I'll hopefully still have at least PA &CH to fall back on but nothing else. Could probably live with that, though.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I suspect if/when the day comes around here I'll hopefully still have at least PA &CH to fall back on but nothing else. Could probably live with that, though.
Yes, I could to as both of those blends I do like. How ever, any thing else you better buy/buy/buy as the tax man cometh...

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

Starting a B&M is one of the chapters in the Book "How to be worth a million Dollars". "Accumulate 2 million dollars. Invest a million in opening a tobacco shop. Within 3 or 4 years, your net worth will be one million."

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Starting a B&M is one of the chapters in the Book "How to be worth a million Dollars". "Accumulate 2 million dollars. Invest a million in opening a tobacco shop. Within 3 or 4 years, your net worth will be one million."
If it were still 1M after 4 years you’d be doing quite well. Outside of becoming a blockbuster franchisee I’m not sure there is anything less lucrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.