PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
This is a first for me and I hope it’s not commonplace.

I’ve bought a few lots and I’m not sure which this one was a part of, so I mailed it to the address on the back, hoping for a replacement.

They mailed it back to me! With a phone number to call. As it turns out, they were the distributor, not the manufacturer and if I didn’t buy it from them, they were not going to help me with it!
41a16caa-b3bb-40be-b037-e35fcca9b5be-391x600.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How did you acquire the tins?
I'd be surprised if the real distributor or the mfg. would replace unknown tins (as to how stored, etc.). Is there an age code on the tin?
Was it difficult to open? (Some pressure of the seal, not hard, but wouldn't just unscrew.)

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Makes a person wonder how many tins of aged mold are lurking in our cellars...

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I’d set this aside, figuring I’d break the seal for a special occasion, then when the Fourth of July came around, I figured that qualified. I broke the seal, anticipating a special treat, but this is what I got instead!

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Yeh, kinda fuzzy, no sparkle. Doesn’t really show in the photo.

I definitely had to go around and pry at the indentations before I could open it.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
It was part of one of the mixed lots that I got off the ‘Net. Everything else has been fine so far.
Here’s another pic and you can compare the tobacco with one thin strip on one side that didn’t show the mold.
645de3fb-da4b-4a80-8afe-8f677dd6a4dc-600x422.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Makes a person wonder how many tins of aged mold are lurking in our cellars...
I have jarred a huge amount of tins fairly recently specifically so I can watch them grow, or was that my ant farm, or my pet rock. Either way, jars rule.
OP - sorry you tin leaked and your baccy molded over. If it was me I'd toss it and move on. That's just me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If it was me I'd toss it and move on. That's just me.
+1
Since you didn't buy from a dealer, the company is under no obligation to help you out and I can understand that. It's the risk you take when buying from private parties. If anyone was going to reimburse you, it would be the seller. Don't hold your breath.
No question that is mold.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I’m happy with my purchases. It was a disappointment, but I’m determined to try this blend, so I’ve bought 3 more tins, so even if I get a bad one, I still have another to go to.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I’m happy with my purchases. It was a disappointment, but I’m determined to try this blend, so I’ve bought 3 more tins, so even if I get a bad one, I still have another to go to.
Now there's determination at its best. Hope you enjoy. Think you will.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I can’t really complain, since I got a couple of mixed batches of pipes and tobaccos and they were worth what I paid, just for the pipes and I had several tins of tobacco as well as some larger containers, mostly aromatics.

I’ve got 4 large containers of Rocky Patel Prohibition, which I’ve found I like very much. It also serves as a good mixer for some of the less interesting blends that I don’t want to go to waste.

Also some coffee can sized cans of Maltese Falcon, Antietam and Sherman’s March that I have yet to try. The Crumble Cake and Plum Pudding gave me a liking for Perique, so I got two tins of Escudo online, then, liking that, I bought 6 more tins from one of the dealers that advertise here.

The Three Nuns I liked. The Dunhill Ready Rubbed, not so much, so it got mixed with some of the Rocky Patel.

The four tins I have open now include Potlatch, Ole Shenandoah Fuzzy Schnapps, Four Square Red Aromatic and Escudo.

I have yet to open Wild Hare, Balkan Sasieni, Stanwell Melange and 3 different Ole Shenandoah blends.

It’s been an exploration!!! :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.