Modern Meerschaum Pipes by High End Makers That Mostly do Briar Pipes.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taazen

Lurker
Jan 6, 2016
Finnsnes, Norway
I really love meerschaum pipes, and started out with vintage amd some antiques.
But then I got my eyes up for moder high end pipe makers and brands, making some meerschaum pipes rarely and very limited. The ones that awakened me and I first discovered was a collaboration between Michael Buttera and Ismet Beckler(sadly I haven't got a pipe by them yet.) This made me very interested if there might be some western pipe makers that occasionally made meerschaum pipes. So, before I found some known makers, I focused on brands, and Dunhill was the first to get. Then Savinelli, Ascorti, Kaywoodie(have an older, very large, early 1900'ds, sculptured, that looks like a pirate, with an large smoking bowl, that's been standing in their factory. It's even marked with a name). Then I was so pleased to find brands like Ser Jacopo, Foundation by Musico and Charatan( that I also missing). I have in my collection a very nice, high end pipe that I bought from America, but can't find out who has made it. It's one of the nicest, classical style pipe I have. It's so perfected done with a nice Vulcanit stem that is perfectly fitted. I sure hope I one day will find out the maker. By makers I have pipes by Rainer Barbi, Chris Morgan, Tim Thorpe, Walt Cannoy (soon) and Nate King(soon). Would like one by Arne Urup. I have also Andreas Bauer, but not by him personally. Would also like some of the famous vintage and antique makers like Gustaf Fisher, Sommer(have one), Franz Heiss amd all those fantastic carvers we don't have the names on, and I don't know of. Anyway, it's the high end pipes, Regular, Classics, Freehands and Sculptured made as good as a painting of Michelangelo I'm after, and now from the newer makers of Briar. I have tried to written to Tom Eltang, Anne Julie(whow), Former, Tao, H. Tokutomi and other Japanese, American, Danish, European, Western, Eastern pipe makers in hope for getting me a meerschaum pipe by some. But with no luch so far. I have a rather larg, natural block of a meerschaum stone. I also have some Spermaceti oil and wax of high quality and a small bottle of nicotine( I've heard they mixed it with the spermaceti wax or oil, amongst other "secret remedies" that's been lost by the years. (All mentioned is legal of course for me to have and posses, humanly and as it should). I have now a collection around 50-100 meerschaum pipes and some other rarities that has something to do with smoking, also Briar pipes, lighters and tools. If anyone could helped make a list of meerschaum makers brands as well as masters that makes truly quality pipes, that would be very helpful. I don't collect to much of Turkey makers, but I have some, like Eyup Sabri and Ismet Bekler, in fact, two of my favorite sculpture meerschaum makers. I just love Beklers "sculptured-modern-art" pipes, I'm sure you know what I mean. And Mr.Sabir have something warm, almost living and breathing to his pipes with those beautiful bone or horn stems. I must say that Sadik Yanik is one of the finest makers I've seen today, but, a BIG but, he mostly makes replicas and truly, they are not good smokers. Why make the mouthpiece, stem like he does? He should learned to make it as good as his carving. It is so important, as we who loves to smoke a good pipe, not only collect. And also, he dips the hole pipe, without closing the openings, the shank and bowl, so the hole pipe is soaked in that, as I see it, terrible yellow beeswax. That not only looks bad, but it makes the smoke, the tobacco taste like....sorry to say it.....shit. One who makes meerschaum pipes should know that NEVER shall there be wax in the chamber, that is the hole inside of the bowl and shank, period. And overwaxing a pipe, I'm not sure that's the way to go. If Mr. Yanik had taken time to study the art of making stems from some professional Briar pipe makers, maybe in Vulcanite/Ebonite, finding the perfect balance, size and so fort. Studying the art of waxing like the old masters, asking and reading around, trying and failing, for me, he then would be the BEST meerschaum pipe maker, maybe in history....at least of this age. That's my thoughts though. Any input are welcome. Would like to read all I can about "The white lady or queen". Maybe someone is sitting on some knowledge how to mix a good wax for meerschaum? Even more than one way? And of course makers and also collectors and friends with genuine interested of all of this. I'm soon to take another and new step in my life, so I'm also thinking of letting go of my humble collection. Just wanted to mention it, but I'm in no real hurry. I hope there will be some hard core pipe collectors of meerschaum and it's history for a long time forward.

taazen

Lurker
Jan 6, 2016
Finnsnes, Norway
I assume by carvers you mean the modern carvers as there were many 19th century carvers from Austria, France, Germany, Great Britain and New York, USA.
Yes, I would be very interested in names of those carvers if possible, also antique, vintage and modern age. I have a poor knowledge when it comes to that, all time area sadly. When I Google and see those fantastic masterpieces of those large....and smaller meerschaum pipes from way back in time, museum pieces as well as private owned, I rarely find the makers name. Only who it was made for, it's age, the owner, maybe the history behind the piece, all very interesting and needed. But who was those carvers who made those superior and profound art that can be compared to Mozart in music, Michelangelo in painting, Leonardo Da Vinci and more? It can be my ignorance in not reading all the books of the subject of meerschaum pipes and its art. So I better go on getting hold on some books that can enlighten me. Thankyou for reading my quest for meerschaum makers, its history with more.

taazen

Lurker
Jan 6, 2016
Finnsnes, Norway
Baki Picasso, cant find any better modern carver of Merschausm! I Garronte!
Of course, and thankyou for reminding me. I have for a long time wanted a Fikri Baki meerschaum pipe. I know what my next will be?. I've been talking to him, and he can almost make the pipe you want. I really want something "regular", bent pipe, maybe with silver-ring on the top of the bowl. A "small, phat, handful "?. And it will for sure be a smoker.?

• Love
Reactions: condorlover1

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
Quality meer block doesn't really leave turkey so you aren't going to find traditional briar carvers selling meerschaum pipes. These days, if you want a meer that's somewhat engineered like a briar your options are IMP and Fikri Baki. I recently bought an Al Birinci, a Turkish man living in German; he goes back and forth to Turkey. The quality of the carve and internals were not great. Yanik pipes, personally, are a joke in terms of smoking quality and engineering, he makes great figurals but they are terribly engineered and awful smokers.
Meers are my favorite smoking pipes, I smoke a meer 99% of the time and I prefer 9mm meers, it's a shame with all the quality block available in Turkey that very few know how to engineer a pipe and stem properly.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thats why I only smoke 19th century meerschaums. The chap who runs Meerschaum Depot, Ramazan produces some excellent meerschaum 'cuttys' copied from 'cutty' pipes from my collection which are well made and reasonably priced.

Reactions: taazen and weezell

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I was at the Chicago show when this guy stated that he had the first Meerschaum that Mike Butera had ever made.He went up to Mike and asked him if it was his first Meerschaum. Mike said it was and wanted to buy it back if the guy would sell it to him. The guy said "No, but i will give it to you". And he did. It even came in its original case.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I, too, collect Bekler's "modern art" pipes, and would love to see photos of yours! I know Micoli has made a few meerschaums in his unique style.

Reactions: taazen

taazen

Lurker
Jan 6, 2016
Finnsnes, Norway
Quality meer block doesn't really leave turkey so you aren't going to find traditional briar carvers selling meerschaum pipes. These days, if you want a meer that's somewhat engineered like a briar your options are IMP and Fikri Baki. I recently bought an Al Birinci, a Turkish man living in German; he goes back and forth to Turkey. The quality of the carve and internals were not great. Yanik pipes, personally, are a joke in terms of smoking quality and engineering, he makes great figurals but they are terribly engineered and awful smokers.
Meers are my favorite smoking pipes, I smoke a meer 99% of the time and I prefer 9mm meers, it's a shame with all the quality block available in Turkey that very few know how to engineer a pipe and stem properly.

I agree so much. It's really a shame that the costly meerschaum couldn't be turned out to master pipes. I was so disappointed by Yanik's pipes. I even have wax inside the bowl, and as you say, the bore, airhole, is very poorly designed and made. I really would expected more from a fine Carver like him. I know Fikri Baki is the best one in Turkey, without a doubt. I've been so lucky to get meerschaum pipes from Rainer Barbi, Walt Cannoy, Nate King and some other top makers that had gotten their hands on some blocks, maybe from before the 70's-80's, when it was legal to import. There are some block laying around both in Europe and the States, and some even know how to get around, luckily. I just keep my eyes open and hear around, sometimes it shows up some rare pieces. I even buy blocks, just to have ready if a pipe maker would like to make me a meerschaum pipe. My dream with an raw, not cut, but very cool and special meerschaum stone that looks like an art by itself, is to get Anne Julie from Denmark to make me one. She makes those crazy, artistic, sculptural pipes, and I'm sure she would have done something fun with this stone.??

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
What about Walt Cannoy? He did a series of Meerschaum pipes a few years ago. I just saw one on smokingpipes in their estate section.

taazen

Lurker
Jan 6, 2016
Finnsnes, Norway
I was at the Chicago show when this guy stated that he had the first Meerschaum that Mike Butera had ever made.He went up to Mike and asked him if it was his first Meerschaum. Mike said it was and wanted to buy it back if the guy would sell it to him. The guy said "No, but i will give it to you". And he did. It even came in its original case.

WHOW, that was really kind of him. To be honest, I'm not sure if I would sell it for all the money in the world?. But I'm REALLY hooked on collecting, and I NEED a Butera meerschaum, used or new.???

taazen

Lurker
Jan 6, 2016
Finnsnes, Norway
I, too, collect Bekler's "modern art" pipes, and would love to see photos of yours! I know Micoli has made a few meerschaums in his unique style.
I think I have 3-4 of those modern pipes. I really love them. 2 are not smoked. They have that "Duck" look, you know?, and those soft curves and holes in. I'll try to give out pictures of them all. Maybe starting a tread where all can show their Beckler's Modern Art Pipes? That would be cool. I have one that is not signed, but you can truly see it's a Beckler. He made some pipes for a company, I can't remember it right now, 3 letters, where he also gave out some of his art pipes. It would be really fun and nice to see a lot of his pipes gathered on a site for sure.?☀️?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@condorlover1 , Thanks for the tip on Meerschaum depot, I'll look into that, as far as my personality goes,I only smoke unfiltered pipes and I'm very apprehensive about the stem/tenon work on brand new Turkey meerschaum pipes, many of them leave a lot to be desired that's why I'm not wasting my time on them,It'll be ideal if I could inspect them in person prior to buying, but how bout Andreas Bauer *Meerschaum pipes, to me those are looking top-notch product

Reactions: danish

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
I have several meers incl. an old Bauer, but I would rather want a ‘Hillmeer’: Best quality meerschaum pipe a la A. Bauer, but with decent vulcanite stem a la Dunhill/old Barling and in classic max. grp 4 size and shape...

Status
Not open for further replies.