PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
In a recent article by The Insider, they made a list of the top 20 Modern Classic Movies Everyone Needs To Watch In Their Lifetime. Remember, this isn't a list of "favorite" movies. On this list there are a few I didn't like, but still agree they're classics. Just because you love a movie doesn't mean it's a "classic". Their #1 was Donnie Darko. I couldn't agree more. I've seen it more than a dozen times and it still fascinates me. It's a profoundly beautiful and fascinating story in addition to being masterfully produced.

LIST

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I couldn't agree more, Nate. When I first watched Darko, I was like, WTF, but it was one of those movies that just drew you in and you couldn't help but watch it again. Very dark, but very well done.
One that isn't on the list that I think is often overlooked is American Beauty, with Kevin Spacey. Another odd, somewhat dark movie. It required watching it twice to really get what it was all about.
Great topic.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I dressed up as Frank for a Halloween party several years ago, and only one person knew what it was. Love that movie.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wow. I am way behind the times. Haven't seen half of that list. I hated Inglorious Basterds, and have eschewed animated film until the last year.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Woe is me! I've not heard of most of the movies on the list, let alone seen any of them. The last "new" movie I watched in full was, I forget the title, about recovering art during the last of WWII. It stared Rosemary Clooney's nephew.

Cliff_K

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2016
Ferron, Utah
I'll go weeks at a time watching Donnie Darko before I go to bed. Definitely one of my all time favourite movies.

And I agree that American Beauty should be on that list as well. While not our first date, it was the first movie my wife and watched together before we were married and I loved every minute of it. Schizophrenia is hard to truly explain and understand and I thought American Beauty did a fantastic job pulling it off.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
This is why I hate film critics. I have seen quite a few of these and thought the majority were absolute garbage. Two were good enough to watch twice, the rest were puke-worthy drivel.
This is just like tobacco...... we all have our tastes and preferences. Lists just serve to box people in.

Cliff_K

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2016
Ferron, Utah
I forget the title, about recovering art during the last of WWII. It stared Rosemary Clooney's nephew.
Warren, that would be The Monuments Men with George Clooney. I enjoyed that one as well.
+1 ashdigger. Some of the best movies I've ever seen were ones the so called critics hated. At the same time, some of the worst movies I've ever had the displeasure to suffer through were ones that were hailed as the "best" of whatever. I wouldn't have put half of those movies on that list (I do agree with Donnie Darko however), but I don't get paid to make lists like this so what do I know lol.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I love Donnie Darko and American Beauty. Funny enough the first time I watched both of them was around the holiday season - this is a good reminder for me. My wife hasn't seen either so I'll save these for our movie night next weekend..

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
+1 ashdigger. Some of the best movies I've ever seen were ones the so called critics hated. At the same time, some of the worst movies I've ever had the displeasure to suffer through were ones that were hailed as the "best" of whatever. I wouldn't have put half of those movies on that list....snipped some.

When I lived in San Francisco, there was one critic with whom I always disagreed, so movies he panned I went to, and those he touted I avoided. So goes it!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Very seriously cool!! I was NOT expecting to find other fans of Darko!! The first time I saw it i knew nothing about it. The entire time I kept thinking what the hell am I watching? I immediately rewatched it and enjoyed far more the second time. Without a doubt one of my all time favorites. I'm not saying they're similar, but I enjoy Darko in much the same way I enjoy Fight Club. There's a lot to see and think about. Every frame is there for a reason.

And I totally agree that American Beauty should be on the list.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I've enjoyed Donnie Darko, No Country For Old Men and Inglourious Basterds, the rest are garbage, they completely omitted "Man On Fire" witch I think should be on this list of modern classics, I guess that is what is wrong with this modern age, I guess movies, just like music, all but died in the 80's
...but hey, Im the guy that likes Codger Blends, right!

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Hey Brad, I just realized you look alot like my avatar with a ball cap on :rofl:
....kidding aside, Man on Fire with Scott Glenn is a must see as well as the late 60's "12 Angree Men", kinda movie draws you in and makes you think

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
In the past fifteen or so years I really enjoyed the Revenant, Gran Torino, the Grand Budapest Hotel (pretty much all of Wes Andersons' films), Shooter, American Sniper, Lone Survivor...I'm seeing a theme here. Also, the first Harry Potter movie was cute, Les Miserables, Secretary, Deadpool was very funny and I also enjoy most of Studio Ghibli's films as well. However I don't care for most of that list and I f@cking HATE Bowling for Columbine, it was a completely myopic view of the gun rights issue.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I seriously think you guys are mistaking movies you love and "classic" movies. They are completely different things.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Nate, "classic" is situational. Your "classic" clearly isn't my "classic". And that's fine, but let's not turn "preferences" into dogma.
Besides, I love my classic android. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.