PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Raising Arizona. See it for the contextual nuance that highlights the dichotomy of oneness to the greater estate of mankind.
See, get a couple shots of Jameson in me and I'm a pretentious douche too.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Nate, that's MY special power. I know what I am, and really don't care. Some don't know what they are and care too much.
After reading the article you linked...... I found out I hate Penzance and despise Apple products. Classic.
But, I like Punk rock, whiskey, pipes & baccy, my truck, fountain pens and steak.
Wanna date?

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
*Sigh!* Another list.
This one's pretty typical ... about a third of the list are unassailably good, and the rest don't even belong on a critic's list. Almost like the author was paid to elevate the status of some duds to affect home video sales. Shame. :roll:
The extended "Director's Cut" of Donnie Darko is well worth a couple views.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Now you guys have gotten me curious. I'll have to see if Blockbuster has "Donnie Darko" on the ol' betamax
Seriously though. I'd never heard of the movie, but now I'm very interested to see it. I'll be watching it as soon as I get the chance.
I was happy to see a Coen bros. movie on there, I think several of theirs could be considered classics. Also pleasantly surprised to see "Eternal sunshine...." That was an unexpected pleasure to watch, think about, and re-watch. I think Jim Carey is underrated as a serious actor.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'll throw Ex Machina out there. Dark, thought provoking, beautiful effects, and a very sinister performance by Oscar Isaac.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I dislike that list. Bowling for Columbine? Trash. Cartoons were entertaining, but not classic films. The person who constructed that list was high and definitely exists on one end of the political spectrum.

Mar 1, 2014
5. “Super Size Me” (2004)
What a load of garbage.
I saw the movie, it has no relevance to the practical reality of healthy living.
The guy specifically limits himself to taking less than 500 steps per day (or something along those lines).

At the beginning he's throwing up after his first meal at McDonald's, that's just pure stupidity and has nothing to do with the food. He specifically said that he was eating a vegetarian diet beforehand. Anyone who has gone long periods without meat, or any type of food for that matter, knows that you need to introduce new elements slowly.

You can just as easily make yourself puke eating too many vegetables while living on a high protein diet.
After the movie came out someone took up the "McDonald's diet challenge" with a local newspaper and replaced the forced lethargy with an hour at the gym every day, after a month he was healthier than ever before.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Guardians of the Galaxy

My all time favorite

I like movies that escape reality

I already know life can blow real hard, so I don't need a movie that goes there.

I want to "check-out" from reality.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Those are "classic" classics. The list just showcases modern classics from the past 15 years or so.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Okay, now I'm really confused. Some movies are classics, but not "classic", while other movies are "classic", not classic. Yet other movies are not classic or classic, but are clearly classic classics.
This thread is classic.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Nah, just classics in the original sense, then newer ones that have come in recent years.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Yea Cosmic, where's Shane, Cool hand Luke. Reminds me of the time I bought my first IPAD at the Apple Store and young salesman name was Luke , I looked at him and said What we have here is a failure to Communicate. He looked at me like I was crazy. :crazy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ah,I had missed the link to the list.
They had me until Wall-E. I'm with wybane, most cartoons are NOT classics films. Classic cartoons, some are (Fantasia). I'd even leave Wall-E off that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.