PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Hello Guys, new to the forums.

I just started smoking a couple of months back and started breaking in some of my father's unsmoked pipes and also bought some new ones.
Can any of you give me any ideas about the model and year of this GBD?

It was my father's. Unsmoked. No markings on the wood. Just GBD on the mount and mouthpiece and hallmarks on the silver mount.
Cheers,
Juan

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I don't recall ever seeing a GBD with a stem mounting like that and it's also unusual that there is no style number marking on the stummel. Smooth GBD pipes have the GBD logo stamped into the briar on the right side of the shank above the grade (Virgin, New Era, etc.) and London England over the style number on the left. The two irregularities together suggest that that piece might have had custom work done on it. Below is a link to a GBD web site you might find helpful. Dating GBDs is very difficult usually and next to impossible when no nomenclature is present. If you know about when your father bought it, that's probably about as close as you'll get. It is a good looking pipe. Maybe someone else can offer additional information.
://www.perardua.net/pipes/GBDshape.html

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Also unusual in that the stem doesn't have GBD's distinctive button. (Maybe by request? The whole pipe has a special order feel to it.)

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Great looking pipe. GBD's are hard to date but if it's hallmarked, you might be in luck. Check out this sterling hallmark chart in the link. Scroll down until you see it. (about half way.)
Here is an example how to read the hallmark and the chart. Welcome to the forum. Let's see some more of your pipes!
aXqq1Hum.jpg

Link to chart
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-gbd-collectors-thread

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Hey, Juan:
Glad your dad gave you some choice unsmoked burners. I really hope he no longer wants them.
I'll give you fifty bucks each for the ones you have posted 11/1/2015 at 1:46 a.m. CST
If you just want to know their worth, why didn't you say so?
Anyway, 200 bucks for the lot posted.
Fnord.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Gloucesterman, Georged, thanks for your answers.

Dave G, Will check the hallmarks later today and see if I can date the pipe. Thank you very much for the info.
Fnord, who said I give a flying rat's ass about the pipes worth? My father passed away a few years back and for me they are priceless. Smoking them is a way to remember him.

I didn't post any lot, I just uploaded some pics of my pipes to my álbum, and Will upload a lot more, both my father's and mine, when I get the chance.

Like the pipes? Keep looking at the pics.

Are you always this rude to new members? Thanks for the warm welcome a##wipe.
Cheers,
J

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The GBD silver spigot pipes I've seen on Ebay are usually stamped "Super Q". But they have all had stamped stem logos. Yours appears to have a brass rondell. New GBD's have switched back to the brass rondell, which is slightly different in style. To further confuse the issue, new pipes are also stamped "London, England" as apposed to the round stamp "Made in London England" used in the post Cadogan pipes.
This one has the stamped logo and round COM mark and is not from the 1970's...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970S-GBD-STERLING-SILVER-SPIGOT-MINT-COND-SUPER-Q-BIG-BOLD-SMOOTH-BILLARD-/361338410832?hash=item5421729750:g:pHIAAOSwQJ5UT1Rd
This one has the stem stamp, round COM mark. These pipes came with a stinger which can be replaced with a filter. The literature shows the drilling, which is a Peterson like system pipe.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNSMOKED-GBD-SUPER-Q-FULL-BENT-ALMOST-A-OOM-PAUL-SMOOTH-BOXED-SLEEVED-UNSMOKED-/361356584836?hash=item542287e784:g:rJ0AAOSw~OdVedfE
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I believe these were made in the late 1980's or 1990's when they had a brief revival of the GBD line.
Can you show a closer picture of your pipe and the stamping/logo?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The ones I've seen are not hallmarked, but with nickel fittings.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=152310

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Thank you for rhe información SS. I Will take close up pictures later today and follow up un the British sections.
Cheers,
J

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Dave G, according to the hallmarks the pipe dates from 1983, which makes perfect sense. I was around 12 or 13 when I first saw this pipe on my father's desk, and it stayed there till he passed. Unsmoked.
Detalle-GBD-2_zpsk4cqx3fj.jpg

Detalle-GBD-3_zpsidmt8hdk.jpg

Detalle-GBD-1_zpsmbxly44m.jpg

SS Jones, besides the ones posted above, I'm adding some more pics here as per your request:
Detalle-GBD-4_zps8ju0aylg.jpg

GBD-Army-2_zpsf28ks0u1.jpg

The pipe stayed unsmoked for over 30 years. My father fell in and out of love with pipe smoking every other year, and a lot of his pipes stayed as show pieces only.

I started breaking in this pipe about a 10 days ago and I think it will become a great smoker.
Thanks for all the info and help guys. It's great to be part of this community.

Any additional info you can come up with will be very much appreciated.
Cheers,
J

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Beautiful GBD! That silver work alone would make it a special pipe, as spigots are rare to come across, but it's history makes it even more special to you, so I hope it brings you many great smokes and wonderful memories. Is there any other stamping at all on the wood?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Bungee:
You have my sincerest apologies. My initial comment was a knee jerk reaction to all the humps who show up around here with questions concerning their latest auction find.
I am sorry for offending you and the memory of your late father. Far wiser heads than mine have weighed in and I'll very quietly take a back seat and absorb the information as it rolls in.
Regretfully,
Fnord

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Fnord,
Apologies accepted.
I can see how you can get sick and tired of people showing up just to talk money and aprise their latest find.
Let's not make a bigger issue of it than what it really was.
We'll get plenty of chances to exchange info, anecdotes and maybe even pipes or a couple of good tins.
Cheers,
J

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hi there.
Chasing the silver marks, it looks to me like London hallmarks and if the third stamp is a "g" then I date it at 1981 based on what I can see of the script. If the "g" doesn't have a loop in the upper part of the letter then it may be earlier and could be 1962. If I'm blind, and that's possible, the chart here should help you nail the date.
http://www.silvercollection.it/englishsilverhallmarks.html
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.