PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I know the notion of a Scottish Blend has been hashed out on multiple occasions on here, so I'm not going down that route necessarily. Regardless, my question is this, tobaccoreviews.com lists MM965 as an English Blend, yet any blend I know of that is specifically attempting to replicate it is listed as a Scottish Blend, e.g. H&H Sunjammer, Match 20.

Is this simply a clerical issue or is there something significant/substantive the makes them clearly a Scottish while MM965 remains an English?

Reactions: stogie37

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Raises the question: Who writes the blurb that describes the tobacco on tobacco reviews??

Same general family, though there are distinctions (whether they are observed/followed or not).

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Who writes the blurb that describes the tobacco on tobacco reviews??
I have often wondered this as well. Some are straight from the label, but many have that additional text. I am also curious who inputs all of the blend data. I often see some "flavorings" listed that are not described on the tin, or by the producer anywhere. And some leaf indgredients likewise.

Anyone know?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
If you search for a tobacco which isn't on TR, it will give you the option to add new tobacco. If you do, you get control over things like the cut, description, flavoring, etc. I assume you can edit these later, but I've never added a new blend before. That is, the first reviewer usually puts that info in, but since there are tobaccos with 0 reviews on there, I assume you don't have to write a review to add a tobacco.

I just tried to add a blend called GL Pease Pooperton Manor to see the process, but I closed the webpage before actually uploading such a travesty.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
While tobaccoreviews.com is a pretty good source, it does have a few shortcomings. I have noticed over the years that some blends have changed label in as far as type, MM965 being also the case. From the last debate we had over here I have concluded that a scottish blend is defined by the cavendish. So an english blend + cavendinsh = scottish blend. Sure some people may disagree, but for myself, this simplifies the equation a whole deal. By this standard, therefore MM965 is unquestionably a scottish blend, and it was labeled - like I said, as such on tobaccoreviews.com a while back.

Reactions: dcon and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OMG!!
One part of one example, Pivo something. Notice reference to "smoke flavor"!

Flavor: Moderately-low to medium oak smoke flavor up front which carries into the finish; the smoke can be stronger in flavor than in aroma. The smoke character is gentle, should not be acrid, and can lend an impression of sweetness. A moderate to strong bitterness is readily evident which lingers through the finish. The overall balance is toward bitterness. Low but perceptible spicy, herbal, or floral hop flavor. Low grainy wheat character in the background. Light pome fruit esters (red apple or pear) may be present. Dry, crisp finish. No sourness. Mouthfeel: Light in body, with a crisp and dry finish. Carbonation is quite high and can add a slight carbonic bite or prickly sensation. No noticeable alcohol warmth.​
Comments: Pronounced in English as “pivo grow-JEES-kee- uh” (meaning: Grodzisk beer). Known as Grätzer (pronounced “GRATE-sir”) in German-speaking countries, and in some beer literature.​

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Part of the reason I stopped judging homebrew competitions many years ago. I found myself giving better beers lower scores because they didn't fit the completely pigeonholed bjcp guidelines. Eff that. They have gone off their rocker with specificity.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Just my standard definitions ( and I am not likely to change after 40 + years since picking up a pipe).
English = VA/Latakia/Turkish {Oriental}
Scottish= English+VA based Cavendish
Balkan=same as English but more Oriental forward
American/English= English+Burley
Aromatic English= English or American/English+Burley based Cavendish and/or topping.

I am sure that Russ, Jeremy, or Greg have their own varying definitions. I am sticking with these.

Last edited:
Reactions: vates and jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.