PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've mentioned before, but never as an OP, that to me MM cobs are permanent pipes. I know for many, they are good for yard work, fishing, or just hauling around in a vehicle, so if they get lost, it's no big shakes. And that's a good use for them. But I like them well enough that I have supplied mine with Forever stems or bought the special series that have acrylic stems, and that makes them competitive with any other pipe for light weight, comfort, and good smoking characteristics. Also, I've admired fishnbanjos various admirable cobs that are beauties from the past, illustrating how well they can last, as have some of mine. Does anyone else have this sense of the permanent with their MM cobs? Especially with a large rotation of pipes, the cobs don't show great wear and seem destined to last a long time.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
All of mine, with exception of some of the seconds I own, are permanent pipes. I've added a forever stem to my Washington Rob Roy and love it. I've bought the Dagner, Charles Towne, Carolina Gent and the St. Patrick's Day pipes and love the acrylic stems they came with. They're mainstays in my collection and rotation. I love them for just about any time I want a no fuss pipe that all I have to do is knock out and go. I clean them and take care of them, and they will be a foundation for all of my pipe smoking. Some blends just seem to taste better in a cob, especially on a hot day. They also handle more bowls at a time than any of my briars do in regards to moisture. They'll always be permanent in my eyes.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Mine are definitely forever pipes. No fancy stems are Necessary. Even though I think about it a lot.

I'd be really disappointed if I lost either of my two oldest cobs. Nothing special about them except the bond we've built.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've never had to replace a stem, and my oldest are a 10 year old General and a Great Dane egg I picked up 8 or 9 years ago. In some cases they smoke as good as some artisan pieces I've owned, in some cases, better. Never wanted an acrylic stem for them.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I've never had to replace a stem
Then I don't know how your stems were made, because mine are so soft, that after one smoking session with a brand new one, the bit will already have teeth marks in it, and I don't bite down but just hard enough to keep it from falling out of my mouth.
I wouldn't mind having one of the older versions though. I've liked those old bulldogs they made back in the day with the diamond shank. Those look spiffy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The stem issue depends on your clenching habits and comfort. I seem to chew through the standard stems, orange and black, fairly quickly and certainly with some ingestion of plastic bits. I just enjoy a stem that is more permanent for me. If I didn't have that issue, I wouldn't bother with acrylic stems. I have to admit, the acrylic stems can add a bit of flair, an orange swirl Forever stem that I wouldn't put on anything but a cob but that looks great (to me). I tried softie bits, but the puffiness of those activates my jaw muscle and aggravates my teeth. Once I get the stems right, cobs are keepers.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I may refer to cobs as disposables but, there are three in my shop that are at least 25 years old. And, I do get acceptable smoking experiences from cobs. In fact, some of my best ever bowls have been from a cob, watching a sunset as I float the last fly of the day in a creek, hoping for a dinner. But, I buy them purely for the value. They are my "beaters".

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I consider my cobs to be more or less permanent pipes. I know for sure that they are tough. I have this black lab pup who loves to chew on things. She found one of my oldest and dearest cobs and decided to "rusticate" it for me. It still smoked fine although I have since replaced the stem.
3hbUccK.jpg

kLbgtH5.jpg

l5u1sem.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Then I don't know how your stems were made, because mine are so soft, that after one smoking session with a brand new one, the bit will already have teeth marks in it...
You may have to ease up on that Ferengi Tooth Sharpener, CCW...
sharpener-600x337.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
Love cobs and get the forever stems for them. Will keep them in my rotation for life. Great smoking pipes.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
You may have to ease up on that Ferengi Tooth Sharpener, CCW...
Yeah, well, you've never had a cleaner feeling mouth than after one sharpening session. It really leaves you feeling invigorated, although it might make cobs a single use item. Well, at least the stem, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.