PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I have 8 MM cobs and more on the way. I recently started modding them. I really enjoy it and them I have always bought extra stems and have begun using Forever Stems for the mods. I like the ability to create a look and they are definitely sturdier than stock. They will only replace the filtered cobs’ stems. I don’t use filters and like my stock unfiltered cobs as well

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I, too, think of them as permanent pipes...I like to dress them up a bit by staining them...here are three examples of staining and dressing them up for public consumption.

JsX09LNl.jpg

mSQ0t5Vl.jpg

IlMkzivl.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I’ve had these Dagner’s for 3 years. They are permanent in my rotation.
edmEQA5.jpg

vBnxKsy.jpg

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Cobs are forever pipes for me as well.
I've burned out one McArthur with a load of black cavendish I probably shouldn't have stuffed it with (its replacement is smoking just fine).
I've had to replace the stem on my bent General, as the one it came with softened and bent just enough to permanently put an end to the mortise and tenon sealing tight enough to get a draw from the bowl. I may have been unconsciously imitating an pufferbilly engine for a few weeks when that happened.
The only one not in the rotation very often is the nose warmer, as I'm not very partial to short-short pipes.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
+1trouttimes, i have a couple of Country Gentleman and would like to mod others but, there is no Forever Stem availability for the unfiltered MMs. I realize that it is undoubtedly a small piece of a small market but, it would be nice to have. Maybe when I get to retirement I will have the time to fashion my own.

jpbrewer

Lurker
Nov 26, 2018
They will never get the respect they deserve because they're so inexpensive, particularly when compared to every functional equivalent (and there are few). They're the Corvette of pipes, I suppose.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I love my MM Cobs and still keep them in my regular rotation. I have one for work and long drives home in traffic which is more of a beater pipe, but , I also have another 4 which are in my regular rotation and get cleaned and treated like my briars. They are great smokes and with some blends actually perform better than my briars. Nothing like smoking a cob while sitting by a bonfire with a cold beer on a summer night.

Definitely a permanent pipe for me.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
After many years of debating, due to this thread I finally ordered a forever stem.
Me too! Got it today. Since they're made in Ann Arbor, home of U Michigan, had to go with the old Maize and Blue in honor of my alma mater.
img_20190415_201028-600x450.jpg

The first smoke blew my mind - richer, creamier, cooler, drier, etc.. I already loved my cobs, often preferring them to briar and meer, but the Forever Stem is a real game changer. This will be the first of many. The original orange (well, kind of dark brown now) plastic stems on my Legends will always have a place, though - can't get much more lightweight than that.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Just made my cob officially permanent today. The stem was 3x as much as the pipe, but it was well worth it. May be buying more in the future.
IMG-20190415-213527.jpg

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Like that orange swirl, looks sharp! I wasn't really thinking about the added weight when I ordered the one with all the doodads and stuff on it. Doh! Next time, I'll go with one more like yours. Looks better, too - more elegant.
I think they're totally worth the money. I mean, the "forever" means it makes the pipe last forever too, right?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Trubka2 yours looks beautiful, but yes looks heavy. I'll be ordering a nose warmer one for my oldest cob very soon. And yes your right, they are game changers!

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I had cobs at first and then bought some briars but I’m back on a cob bender at the moment. They really smoke well. Never disappoint. Still on the journey though, lots of ground still to cover.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Just got my nosewarmer finally! It was sent to my old address and I thought I lost it. But luckily it was sent back to Walker Briar Works and sent to my new home.
IMG-20190427-150053.jpg

All my problems have been solved. There is almost no need in my life for a briar anymore....almost...
IMG-20190427-185308.jpg

As permanent as it gets!
I feel another thread coming soon ...

Status
Not open for further replies.