Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I started pipe smoking about a month ago, this is one which my local B&M recommended, and I got two ounces of the stuff. As a brand new smoker, I felt this was exquisite, but a little too complex(Maybe needlessly). I have smoked this regularly over a month, and I feel I have some experience to review it properly.

Summary: It is a fantastic tobacco - One of the best I have smoked (And I have already smoked 20 different varieties)
It is a nicely created mild English Blend, and contains a bunch of individual tobaccos. I looked up online, and found it is a blend of Burley, Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia. It is extremely complex from the first puff till the last puff, and each puff is slightly different. I could taste most of the individual components throughout, though it becomes slightly more oriental at the bottom of the bowl. Does not appear to have a topping, and does not burn your tongue. I would recommend this to try, if you enjoy the English Blends.
Now the caveat - it is extremely rare to find, and where I could get a regular supply it is extremely expensive (New Jersey B&M - A Little Taste of Cuba sells it for about $11 an ounce after taxes). Does anyone know where it is available cheaper?

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
aquadoc
The abundance of ingredients reminded me of Peretti's Cuban, can't say for certain if there is a common taste profile.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I just sent the guy who came up with the blend a link to this thread, he4's at the New Hope location.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Anyone with any questions about St. Basil's tobaccos, contact the blender Gabriel at: Gabriel@stbasilstobac.com

I'm posting the email here with Gabe's permission.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The burley and especially the cigar leaf take this off the beaten track of English blends, but it certainly sounds good to me, however it is categorized. C&D has taken a leading role in using burley in sophisticated blends. Another mild and refined English blend you might enjoy trying, though it has no burley nor cigar leaf, is Nat Sherman 536, available in tins from smokingpipes.com. Thanks for this interesting review.

inquisitor3

Lurker
Jun 20, 2017
I never was a C&D fan, but I got several bulk blends in a trade several years ago, and with a few years age, some of their blends are amazing. And they are usually much less than $11/oz!

Status
Not open for further replies.