PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Bought a couple ounces of Mixture 79 and if the tobacco smelled as good as it left the other box contents, I might like it! What was in the bag seemed like it had lost everything in the shipping maybe. Stuff was bulk so who knows how long it had set on the shelf airing. So, not to be daunted, I took about a rounded tablespoon each of Lesvos Ouzo from Greece and Jagermeilter from Germany and poured them over the tobacco and let sit sealed in jar for a few days. Ouzo is an anise-based liquor and the Jagermeilter is similar but a bit darker, heavier, being made from 56 herbs, fruits, roots, and spices, including citrus peel, licorice, anise, poppy seeds, saffron, ginger, juniper berries, and ginseng, so it has a similar anise/licorice taste but with more depth.
Just opened the jar to check all and the contents looked ready so spilled everything out into a bowl for further mixing and to let the mix air out so some of the alcohol could evaporate off leaving behind the essential flavors. The liquors had soaked down through the tobacco pretty evenly by itself, but I tumbled the mix with my fingers to blend further and until it had dried a bit, then washed out the jar and cleaned it. By then, the tobacco was a lot drier and had gone from wet to damp. Using my broad-neck funnel, I put everything back in the jar.
It has a WONDERFUL, inviting, unmistakable smell now! Made me hungry! So much so that even my fingers carried the smell noticeably for at least ten minutes after jarring back up and washing my hands. That is what I want, a flavor and aroma that clings to the tobacco. Not just a subtle hint of licorice, but in your face. There is no in-between with something like anise or licorice! It is a strong flavor and aroma.
When I smoke it, I want that flavor right in my face like a fist and the aroma dancing about the room! I want the neighborhood kids knocking on my door asking what I got going on in there. I mean, why smoke the stuff if you don't LIKE licorice? It's a desert smoke. I will leave the stuff as is now and further dry out a bowl later and try it tonight. That way, as each time I open the jar in coming weeks and months, the excess alcohol will continue to evaporate down closer to the ideal rather than dry out past the optimum flavor. I'm hoping it tastes as good as it smells! I'll let you know.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
You have to really let all of the alcohol evaporate, I tried flavoring some tobacco with rum and it smelled good, but after a few bowls I realized it was a hot bitey mess. Apparently the trick is to let the alcohol completely evaporate, all the flavor of the alcohol is going to stay because of the sugar etc, but without the alcohol.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm guessing that you're more than 2 or 3 standard deviations away from what is usually smoked in these precincts.

But, whatever floats your boat! :puffy:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Sounds like a shameful waste of 2 tablespoons of booze, but when you flush the 79 down the toilet, the sewer rats will be grateful for you having mitigated the putrifaction that is M79.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Well the first test wasn't what I expected. An improvement, but not to the degree I want. Not a bad smoke, at least it went from utterly bland to rather enjoyable. I am researching into alternate means now of getting more FLAVOR into the mix with fewer volatiles, much more like the big boys do it. But you are right--- alcohol as the carrier is not the ideal way to go.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I tried M79 about 45 years ago and have absolutely no interest in trying it again. There are so many better blends out there. I don't like toppings, so I would rather drink the alcohol, and throw out the tobacco, reaching instead for something that I like.
But, if it floats your boat, cast off!

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
I enjoy Mixture79 every once in awhile,not and everyday smoke but it is a classic.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Interestingly enough, I looked at the ad for it the other day and they listed it as being cased with a vanilla flavor, nothing was said of licorice or anise yet that is how most people describe it.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have had good results from putting a half of an avanti annisette cigar in a mason jar with some flake tobacco for a few weeks. The topping from the cigar, which is severe, leeches into the flakes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think maybe have the exquisite drink and excellent tobacco side by side and don't try to smoke them both. But he sure sounded like he was having fun imagining what it would taste like. Whoopee. Hope he didn't do himself any harm.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
8O Has anybody heard from toobfreak lately? I hope he didn't hurt himself with that M79 concoction he created.

:rofl: - I hope he hasn't immolated himself.
I respect the active quest for new pipe experiences, though. :puffy:

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I'm still here on other threads. Looked into some possible fruit oils and agents, one web site sells all kinds of wonderful stuff! But they are $6 - $12 each for small quantities. Maybe when I feel like spending $30 to make a couple ounces of burley taste like something I'll give it another try. My mixture 79.1 smells great but it'll take a lot more to make it TASTE like it smells.
What I really want to do is buy a couple hundred dollars worth of various additives, then make a press to press blocks of tobacco into a form, and a way to pressurize it under heat; basically a small scale version of what the big companies do to age, stove and do other things to tobacco.
Given the technique, you can make good, dark, complex plug and flake tobacco blends for about 1/8th the cost you pay from the dealer.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Last time I drank Jager I passed out and woke up to find myself in a shopping cart getting pushed up Lombard street by a homeless man.
I suspect smoking mix 79 wound end with me rolling down the hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.