PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
I received my brand new Missouri Pride Natural Corncob in the mail today and smoked a bowl as soon as I could. It smoked cool, dry, and very sweet; I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would and am now a believer! However, though the pipe was not even warm to the touch, and I tasted nothing but tobacco until the end - when it tasted a bit off - I dumped the ashes to find that it was not only charred but slightly burnt-out! Around where the shank enters the bowl it is the worst with only a bumpy charcoal look around the inside of the walls. It didn't burn through but I am worried it will if I smoke it again. The pipe only costs $3.99 but I waited weeks for the package! Is it normal to have a little burnout? Will a healthy dose of mud keep it from getting worse?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It seems to me that you have little choice but to try another smoke in it. If it doesn't burn through, then there's no problem. If it does burn through, then you got a defective cob -- but that's no big loss. Of what use would it be if you chose not to smoke it?

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Thanks for the advice guys! I just smoked a small cigar and put a bit of mud around the spots that burnt and noticed that it could have been because of the way the shank was put in. It was not put in all the way and the pipe burnt according to how the shank was pulling in oxygen. It was cheap or else I would tell MM.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I agree with Cortez's advice. A cob is what it is. There are people here who have cobs for decades so they can be sturdy performers. I got 2 MM's a while back and was pleasently surprised how well they smoked. They are great for sampling new blends you're not sure about.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
On the bright side, the corn tastes a sight better than briar as you're smoking it...I'd just give it another light and puff til there was nothing but a cinder at the end of the stem. :mrgreen:

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I've never had a burnout of a cob in 50 years. Pipe mud is a good idea, just to be sure. As for cake, I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't let cake build in a cob, since it will adversely effect the absorbing and disapating of moisture. But the great thing about MM cobs is that they will replace any cob that does burn out.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
I have three MM cobs at the moment, two of which are amazing smokers. The other smokes ok, but like yours was assembled poorly and the stem doesn't fit quite right.
I didn't have any burning, but the pull and taste is funny. Also, when I first got the pipe whatever they used to stain the pipe was globbed on so thick that the taste was unbearable. A little sanding, pipe mud, and restaining and the pipe is pretty decent now, but still not quite as nice as my other two.
I think the quality control on the MM pipes you pay $3 for off a bulk cardboard display are not quite as nice as the ones you buy individually for around $10. Not that the $3 pipes aren't good pipes, it's just that QC is more of an issue and your more likely to get a lemon.

momeerphil

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2009
As Gen Mgr of Missouri Meerschaum, I wanted to thank Assaad for reporting the problem and thanks to eveyone who has responded to him. We take QC seriously on all of our pipes, even the most inexpensive ones. The natural characteristics that make a corncob pipe smoke so cool and sweet can also be the cause of a defect since we cannot inspect the inside of a cob without destroying it. As for stem insertion, we use as little glue as possible even though the glue is non-toxic. Espcially on the natural cob pipes such as the Missouri Pirde, this means that occasionally there may not be a good enough seal where the stem is inserted into the bowl. The application of pipe mud, as suggested above, should take care of that. Because of the potential problems due to the natural characteristics of our pipes, we have a liberal policy of replacing our pipes, as long as the damage is not due to improper smoking techniques, such as using a "blow torch" lighter to light the pipe. I smoke our pipes everyday, interrupted by an occasional good cigar, so I appreciate and understand pipe smokers' comments, good and bad, about our pipes. With all that said, I think I will take a break and enjoy a bowl in one of our Country Gentleman pipes right now!

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Thank you for taking the time to register and respond here. I appreciate hearing from you and the fact that you would go out of your way to address this on some random forum tells me a lot about how much customer satisfaction must mean to your company. :D
That said, I still recommend buying a MM from their site rather than getting a cheap $3 gas station MM cob. :wink:

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Thanks for joining Phil.

I know you're a busy man, but dropping in here from time to time, or having Marilyn check in once or twice a month could do a lot to address any questions about Missouri Meerschaum products.

If you dont, rest assured theres plenty of devoted fans around to back up your pipes.

Thanks for dropping by!

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Thanks for all the responses guys, and thank you very much momeerphil! I applied a healthy coating of pipe mud and smoked it again after it dried thoroughly, the pipe smoked as wonderfully as before but there was no damage to the inside of the pipe this time. I will definitely have to get more of these, and, considering the B&M here sells the same pipe for over $10 while I paid $4 on the site, I would recommend buying straight from the MM site.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I've got tree MM's and I dearly love them. Of the first two I ordered one got so hot I thought it was gonna burst into flames at any second, it had burned pretty bad. I just smiled, tossed it and ordered two more.

One of the three is actually my favorite pipe at this time, and I've got some nice pipes.
Baskerville59, thanks for posting the pictures of your grandfather's old corncobs they're beautiful!

(hate to say I'm not a big fan of your avatar though)

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
MM corncobs are the ONLY cob pipes i buy. if they was good enough for Mark Twain they is good enough for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.