Missouri Meerschaum 150th Year Anniversary, Can We Expect Something Special?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
So I was looking over the MM website yesterday hoping to catch myself a Carolina Gent (just love that snazzy red stem) and I noticed that this year marks 150 years of corn cob pipe production for them! Congratulations on that feat!
Then I started to wonder if, by chance, they'd be doing something special this year to mark the occasion. I haven't seen or heard anything about it, but was just curious. I'm going to be keeping an eye out for anything they might offer in celebration of 150 years. Anyone else heard anything or have any idea if they will or not? I'll be saving up some money for it, just in case :wink:

Reactions: bluegrasspipe
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Not very many, Mike! I don't think there are very many at all that can claim it. At least not while being owned and operated solely by themselves, I wouldn't think. So many have been folded into the business network of other corporations, but MM is very likely one of the only companies I can think of that has stood the test of time and been their own company through the years.

Reactions: UncleRasta

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
They are indeed working on some events. Hopefully they will chime in here as they sometimes have.
On my last visit they gave me a business card that has the dates for their Anniversary events. Two dates were on the card....now just let me find the thing lol

peteprom

Lurker
Jan 17, 2019
Good morning Carolinachurchwarden. Just a note to introduce myself. First time I have ever joined a ‘forum’ and trying to figure out how to use it. It is currently 3:55 am here in South Australia. Your ‘handle’ attracted me as I find nothing more pleasant than a 30cm churchwarden with a morning C&Dad blend to get the day started. I have a great interest in both cooking my pipes and Carolina history. My dad often spoke of a ‘Yank’ he knew from Carolina whome he faught with in Papua in the south west pacific in ww2. They became great mates. Anyway, a bloody good morning to you mate and hope to be able to figure out how to talk with people here. I am a pariah here in Oz because it is becoming impossible to have a smoke in Aus these days. All my grandkids recon my brain will fall out if I smoke (according to their school, parent, Government etc etc. but....... they love the way they know grandpa is around because they can smell him.... and they love the smell. Cheers, Pete Spinks from South Australia.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
For a first post, you did good Pete. Good on ya! What the heck are you doing up at 3:30 in the morning?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome, down under Pete!
There is a section for newcomers to intro themselves, which would get wider attention.
And, yeah, being a piper in Oz has to be tough.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well hey there Pete! Welcome to the forums! I hear it's nice down there, but to echo folinater...the heck are you doing up at almost 4 in the morning?
Yeah, I do realize they call a lot of Americans "yanks" around the world, but gotta be careful when hollerin' at a southern country boy with that one! Here it means north of the Mason-Dixon, but even that line could be pulled down a tad these days. "Yank" in the south is what we call all them northern aggressers, or these days around here they're damn yankees since they keep moving into my state and not going back home! We don't like being tossed in with their lot most of the time, but the pipe folks around here are pretty good eggs, I'd have to admit, so I'll give'em a pass. :lol:
Yes, Sir, I do love my churchwardens and love the way they smoke. I have to keep with the shorter stuff when out and about though, but when I'm at home on the back porch, nothing is finer than my churchwarden stuffed with a little C&D Bayou Night or Nightcap.
I did hear tale of the price of baccy being a little on the pricey side down there and it's a damn shame, it really is! The prices here might be better, but the citizenry can't stand to see another man smoke his pipe. They think my smoke is going to make their babies be born naked or some damn thing. I tell you, it's seemed to get worse, but I have also heard it's getting a little better. My mom bought me some Black Cavendish for Christmas and the clerk told her that more and more young people have been coming in for pipes and pipe tobacco, so who knows how the tide is turning.
Best of luck to you down there and I look forward to seeing more of your posts! Take care and happy smoking! :puffy:

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Hiya, Pete! Glad to have you with us. BTW, from upstate South Carolina here.
A corn dog would be good.
That's fast food, tavol. Don't you know a sesquicentennial is like an NCAA championship & deserves something classier? -evyl grin-
[[BTW, JOKE there, STRICTLY joke -- no politics at ALL intended, implied, or should be inferred. :)]]
Bill

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
d2da65fb-c625-4875-b34e-8bd78599c477-600x450.jpg

Here ya go.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
It would be great for them to reproduce some of the old pipe shapes from when the company started.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Missouri Meerschaum probably has its own favorite pipes to re-introduce or new ones to feature for their 150th, and I doubt they'll miss the opportunity. I'd like to see additional pipes with acrylic stems, since I use MM cobs as permanent pipes. Their double-chamber Calabash were favorites and would probably sell out. I like their bowl labels and wouldn't like little plaques as is done by some brands for pipe-of-the-year ... I don't like them on briars either. Collaboration with C&D/smokingpipes.com might be good, since that gives them an additional marketing base. Hope they do something good.

Status
Not open for further replies.