PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With manufacturers paying major amounts for "product placement" in films, the pipe brand in this instance has missed a major opportunity not having the pipe identified. No one will ever know what it is, while everyone seems to admire it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With the antismoking climate we live in, and this being a teen/young adult novel, I would guess they're trying to keep it under wraps to "save the children". :roll:

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
oh my goodness some AWESOME responses here! i totally agree with the need for a pipe lighting falcon!
thought the movie was great, and the pipe looked so nice, i was for sure someone somewhere would have some info available on who made it...it does seem like it's being 'kept under wraps'...don't see how there can be any problem with the image of Eva Green smoking that pipe ;)
i guess its the unsolvable mystery...probably better for my PAD that way anyway!!

I saw this one a few days ago because folks were posting about it earlier. Great movie! My guess is that despite the current anti-smoking climate, a pipe company wouldn't have the same profit revenue that a candy company or even a bottled water company would have for product placement in such an expensive movie. But, my guess is that it's a Chacom. They make a huge range of "regular" looking pipes. My first thought was that she should have been smoking a more exotic looking pipe, like a churchwarden or Savinelli Clark, but... they wanted to make sure we "the audience" would assume it is normal tobacco and not marijuana. We are sort of sheltered in our thinking, being a part of the pipe community; however, the majority of the population still thinks every mention of "weed" in Tolken's work is a reference to marijuana, just like a pot smoker assumes that every word in an obscure song or piece of literature is obviously a drug reference... to them. For example, Peter Paul and Mary have stated inumerable times that their song, Puff the Magic Dragon, had nothing to do with drugs, but drug users just keep on associating the song with drugs, regardless. So, giving Miss Perigine the most "average" looking pipe possible, without being TOO male looking. A straight pipe, of course, would have looked too masculine and virile. A bent pipe, no one associates a bent pipe with virility. Nothing against them, but a droopy bent was a "safe" choice, IMO.

And, I think Chacom, because I can't think of which shape by Savinelli that it would be, and it just has that "average" look that I associate with Chacoms.

Yeh, ha ha, that prop guy turned out to be able to spin a pretty good pipe shape, if that's the case. I'm sure he was standing at the lathe mumbling about how much easier it would have been to just go buy a pipe, as he tossed attempt after attempt in the trash. I know I would have. But, I could see that maybe they altered a store bought cheap Chacom to vape a smoke for the movie. THAT I could expect from Hollywood.

But, if an artisan pipe maker did make it, what an awesome chance to get your work seen. I'm sure we would eventually hear about it through our rather tight-knit community. And, kudos if someone did make it. That would be awesome!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Movie productions do have access to many artists and fabricators. Don't have to have a lot of tools like a lathe to make a pipe. I made this with a drill press and a belt sander.
img_20130630_160852-600x450.jpg

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
In the book there were pictures of the pipe, and it was very similar to the one she is smoking above. There were differences between book and movie, but the pipe wasnt one of them.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Thank you very much! That was the first one I made a few years ago under the advice of Bruce Weaver. Really need to get back into it, it's a very calming pastime.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
apart from many complaints in forums about smoking in modern movies
Well, it didn't take long for their public school brainwashing to kick in! I'm guessing that most of those kids complaining about the smoking in the movie have not ever even been near a pipe!
Is there an advocacy group against second-hand smoke for falcons now?

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
We watched it last night, meh. Have to agree with Grue, we weren't impressed. Now Ink, that's a movie and probably done with a tiny fraction of the budget, but alas no pipe smoking beauties. I ran across this Rattray's today, similar but not quite it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RATTRAYS-THE-DRUIDS-LIMITED-SANDBLASTED-BENT-EGG-PIPE-NEW-incl-ADAPTER-/311711214428?hash=item48936fab5c:g:~K8AAOSwYIxX8kvk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C5I1SavGyA

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
It's like a swan-necked bent billiard meets an egg (possibly that the falcon laid) and voila: a striking woman will smoke it.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I personally think it may be a Savinelli. Some savs don't have markings on the stem, while BC and Chacom all have stem logos.

Status
Not open for further replies.