Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
This last weekend I attended an auction at a local antique store/auction house, intent on winning some pipes. The auction was the estate of a retired Navy captain who served in WW2, the Korean War and Vietnam, so there were many diverse items up for auction. There were three different lots of pipes and tobacciana, and I was hoping for a clean sweep. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.
The first lot which included a pipe rack and a couple well-colored meerschaums went for more than I had budgeted. The second lot which included a couple empty Barking Dog Mixture tins, a mostly-full Flying Dutchman tin and 3 unsmoked, unmarked meerschaums (I think they were carve-your-own kits) also went for more than I wanted to spend.
I didn't come here and create a post only to mourn opportunities lost, so without further ado... I won the 3rd lot of pipes! For $10!! Here they are arranged on my dining room table:
auction-win-before2-600x337.jpg

From top-to-bottom, alternating left and right, the markings are as follows:
1. PERKINS STRAIGHT GRAIN IMPORTED BRIAR

2. LONGCHAMP FRANCE

3. IRISH SECONDS MADE IN THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND

4. MARXMAN IMPORTED BRIAR ROYAL

5. OLDE CLASSIC CORSICAN BRIAR ITALY

6. BUECHERS MISSOURI PIPES

7. EHRLIC (The "H" is missing; the "C" is right on the edge of the shank, so maybe a previous repair shortened the shank.)
It's a hodge-podge collection- a few have extremely loose stems, one has a broken stem and cracked shank, one has a cracked bowl and they are all extremely dirty. I think these were the captain's at-sea pipes because they were all coated in a grime that I've seen on other items exposed to salt air.
And so begins my pipe restoration adventures. I've scoured this forum and read rebornpipes.com top-to-bottom so I think I know most of what I need, it's just a matter of acquiring the tools (reamer, micromesh sanding pads, etc.) and putting it into action. As I undertake each restoration I will attempt to record my progress, so additional posts in the Pipe Repair & Maintenance section will be forthcoming.
Thanks for reading and Happy Smoking!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you have a good array of pipes for restoration. You may need a new stem here and some serious

cleaning all around, but the materials are there. Bet you can come up with some striking before and after

photos on at least a few of these. If you have the yin for restoring, ten bucks is nothing.

owen

May 28, 2014
Get stuck in got to love a job lot in need of attention.

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I'm most excited about the Longchamp and the Irish Seconds. The Longchamp because it is my first Rhodesian/Bent Bulldog shape, the Irish Seconds because research leads me to believe that it is made by Peterson.
I have some significant stem work to do. Based on how mangled the bits are, the captain was an aggressive clencher. The worst I may be sending out to be replaced; I don't want to lose the length that the stems lend to the pipe's profile, especially the Perkins.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Marxman pipes are some of the most underrated pipes I know of, it should practically smoke itself, I have several and they are tremendous smokers. Marxmans were never considered high dollar pipes, they were working mans briars, but I believe they must have been made with really dry, well aged briar, because they smoke way out of their price range, good find!

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Thank-you! As luck would have it, the Marxman is the one in the best shape, so it'll probably be the first one I tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.