PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty D

Lurker
Nov 19, 2019
Ok so i just joined this place yesterday and am a 45 yr old new pipe smoker. Forst tobacco i bought online was Carolina red flake, a month ago. Sounded great on paper and tasted great all by itself in cob and briar but i decided to mason jar it by itself ( 1/2 of tin) then took 1/4 of the other half and jarred it with hh odf at a 3: 1 ratio. 3 c red 1 odf..Ok. Since then got Petersons 3p plug, and spc Mississippi River. All were great . love mixing them and trying. BUT... Tonight i went down to the brick and mortar and got " Trifalgar" house blend, a latakia blend and mind blown... No topping just mix of tobaccos with lots of latakia.. Best smoking pipes experience yet.. I guess i like latakia.... - latakia first timer- D.

Jun 23, 2019
Latakia is definitely polarizing. I think it has the same kind of chemical reaction as cilantro for people and they absolutely hate me. Personally, latakia is what helped me ditch the sticks and get on the pipe properly...

• Haha
Reactions: Elric and Dirty D

Dirty D

Lurker
Nov 19, 2019
Latakia is definitely polarizing. I think it has the same kind of chemical reaction as cilantro for people and they absolutely hate me. Personally, latakia is what helped me ditch the sticks and get on the pipe properly...
Yeah i been really enjoying all these diff tobacco blends but i just had some sort of pipe religious breakthrough. Gosh i wish id have explored this hobby years ago... Anyway, cheers, D.

Welcome to the forum!
Latakia is great beginner choice IMO.

Full bodied English Blends with lots of Latakia give new smokers first feel of what to follow IMO

Once English is mastered then there is the subtle nuances of Virginia and Virginia- Perique to explore

Then comes burley - I am still learning burley ... but burley to me is a break. After lots and lots of flavor, burley can be like an occasional comfort food.

Enjoy!

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Enjoy! I like Latakia every now and then especially in winter when the weather is damp and cold. I've heard and read from long time pipe smokers that it is possible to overdo Latakia. Some people smoke a lot of it but develop "Latakia fatigue" and move away from it. On the other hand some pipe smokers enjoy Latakia for decades on end without complaint. Myself, I like to keep it as an occasional treat.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Latakia is what got me back into pipes a few months ago. I mainly smoked cigars and heard about SPC PP on a cigar forum. Bought a tin, gave it a sniff, and the rest is history. It reminds me of the Islay scotches I also like, combined with sweet BBQ sauce. But in a good way.

Reactions: Dirty D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central N.C. I think you picked a winner of a blend with Peterson 3-P. A member sent me a sample, and I believe I'll order more, though I am a moderate smoker and buy more leaf than I smoke so space my orders.

Reactions: danimalia
Buy some GOOD (St. James Parish) Blending Latakia and drop some in when you find a blend to be lacking. Careful, a little goes a long way. It sometimes turns a good smoke into a great smoke. I keep some on my desk for just that purpose. If I'm feeling an aromatic (rare, though it happens) I spritz some Latakia in it and make it a quasi-English Aromatic.

Try it!

Reactions: Dirty D
Welcome to the forum!
Latakia is great beginner choice IMO.

Full bodied English Blends with lots of Latakia give new smokers first feel of what to follow IMO

Once English is mastered then there is the subtle nuances of Virginia and Virginia- Perique to explore

Then comes burley - I am still learning burley ... but burley to me is a break. After lots and lots of flavor, burley can be like an occasional comfort food.

Enjoy!

I am stuck in Delta 2 (English/Balkans) . and dabbling in Delta 3.

I think you may have mixed up your condiment tobaccos there. nana

But seriously, do you have any recs for blending Latakia?
Oops... You are right :eek:

The stuff I bought was bulk from Pipes and Cigars and it is great! I have even smoked it straight just to imprint the distinctive qualities of Latakia, so I can identify it in blends and where it might fit in with some aromatics to "spice" them up.

I also bought some St. James Perique from them at the same time puffy hence the memory faux pas....

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I was hoping that was the case, and you weren't going to blow my mind by telling me, actually, there's a St. James Parish in Cyprus or something. I'll check out the P&C blenders, so thanks for the rec.

Status
Not open for further replies.