Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Tonight's featured interview on The Pipes Magazine Radio Show will start our series with the former owners of the now closed McClelland Tobacco company, "Storytime with Mike & Mary McNiel". Most people know that McClelland was one of the most popular boutique pipe tobacco companies for 40-years. Their story is well told in Tobacconist Magazine. The part that only pipe show attendees know is that Mary & Mike are a joy, and a pleasure to listen to, so our show listeners are in for a real treat. In Pipe Parts, Brian will finish the series on quintessential pipes with old estate pipes that are no longer made.
brian-mike-mary.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dogs, and cats -- they study us, and eventually know more about us than our parents do.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Loved the first installment. I was really hoping Brian would do this series and was jazzed to see the topic this week.
Great people who produced great tobaccos. What better excuse to open a tin of Christmas Cheer than to accompany the show and celebrate the McNiels?
Renfield / Rob Petrie

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
What a great show! I'm looking forward to the next three. Great to hear how a few enthusiasts started a thriving business knowing next to nothing, and learning as they went along.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mike and Mary are extremely interesting. Mary, a journalist before her tobacco adventures, is the gifted talker, but Mike chimes in with some observations on the business and their journey in it. One of their production work places was in an "industrial cave" in/near Kansas City. Also, Mary has fascinating accounts of visiting the big industrial tobacco processing plants. Well worth a listen, and there are more interviews to come, I believe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The industrial caves mentioned in the interview may be former limestone mines; a major one is called Subtropolis, lots of space with various tenants. Though the one Mary mentions Mike later says is now allowed to flood and is no longer in use. Interesting subject in itself. Never heard of this.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I was surprised at the use of the caves and instantly thought mold but it must not have been to that level of humidity. A very interesting listen.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What makes me think we'll be hearing more from Mike and Mary beyond these interviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.