PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willm

Lurker
Jun 23, 2014
I've found that microwaving tobacco for about 10 secs helps dry out tobacco. Is this taboo among pipe smokers?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I do it when I want to smoke a wet flake and don't have the time to let it get there naturally. Besides the chance of over-drying a bit, I haven't noticed it being detrimental.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
I've always found that I have a little more control over the process if I put the tobacco over a table lamp or something of that sort. Dries the tobacco relatively quick and it's a little slower than the microwave so I find I have more control.

willm

Lurker
Jun 23, 2014
Thanks, guys. I just microwaved some McClelland ribbon cut for 10 secs, which was too long.

gunslinger

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2014
I use a similar process as pipenscotch that seems to work pretty well for me (I did pick up the idea here on another thread sometime back). I use a halogen desk lamp with an adjustable brightness control and a small plate. You can vary the intensity of the heat as well as the distance the plate of tobacco is from the heat source. It does give you quite a bit of control of how much, and how quickly, you dry the tobacco. Five to ten minutes is usually sufficient for many tobaccos. YMMV.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Obviously the best way to keep tobacco fresh is to freeze it. Without an ice pick to break chunks off and a microwave to thaw it, how are you supposed to smoke it?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Was it a mistake to believe everybody would know that was kidding? Please, to those who'd freeze their tobacco.... freeze away! Obviously a sub freezing, super dry environment is the perfect place for tobacco. The only thing I'd add would be to defrost it under a heat lamp for at least a few days, then microwave it... Follow this meathod exactly and please share your results here.
I've utilized italic print to indicate a sarcastic, almost daring tone :wink:

Ha!
I microwave my tobacco quite often, but I don't find that it dries it as much as it warms up the oils bringing out the natural flavors. Sure, it does dry it a tad, but 10 seconds won't really dry it out for me. I usually have mine already as dry as I want before I put it in there. It's more like it gets cooked. At least that is my experience.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I had actually never thought to do this; it's very ingenious. Perhaps I'll give it a try someday when I lose patience with a particularly damp flake.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I let my dogs sit on it for a while.

Then I microwave it.

TulaSobranie-vi.jpg

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I've done the microwave wave-thing a few times with good results; I use 2-3 second "bursts". It will dry the tobacco but I've also noticed as Cosmic mentioned it seems to "activate" the oils, too, and oh what a wonderful aroma when heat treating a Virginia!
I have also used a coffee grinder (dedicated one) to process plug, cake and flakes from time to time. Here, too, short bursts are the key to success. I can't recall which blend it was now but I use to have one that this method worked so very well with; it smoked perfectly every bowl. Have to review my old notes and see if I can find out what it was though! LOL

sidious

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2014
I'd like to give this a try but my wife will kill me if I ghost the microwave.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
if it weren't for leftovers and ps lbf, I would have no use for a micro-wave.

Status
Not open for further replies.